What Mike Gundy Told His Staff after 7–6 Season, and Why He Chose Not to Make Changes

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/what-mike-gundy-told-his-staff-after-7-6-season-and-why-he-chose-not-to-make-changes/

Gundy is digging in to the trenches with his guys.

He should consider digging into his bank account and contributing heavily to the NIL fund.

6 Likes

“He goes, ‘Listen, put all that stuff on the outside and just shelve it, because this is the same group of guys that won 12 games a year ago,’”

No, it’s not. The team we had in 2021 had a stellar DC that’s at Ohio State now, and probably the best defense of the Gundy era. We also had an experienced QB that remained relatively healthy, that for some of his errors, was able to make something happen offensively on a team with a predictable offense and sometimes head scratching plays called by Dunn. I doubt the 2021 team would’ve lost by three touchdowns to Kansas. It’s not even close to being the same group of guys.

3 Likes

The article in the Athletic mentioned that Gundy did not fire coaches. Am I mistaken or didn’t Gundy fire both Dick Young and Glenn Spencer?

1 Like

The 3:10 PM grouping at the U.S. Open is Alex Noren, Wyndham Clark and Austin Eckroat!

1 Like

Well, yes, but it was Bill Young.

1 Like

Correct, my bad

1 Like

Yea gundy doesn’t make sense to me sometimes and this is sometime. “I don’t fire coaches” Ok so who does coach? You just quit talking to them till they get the hint? Have your wife fire them? Only other thing is there’s been a lot of coaches pack up and leave on there on will. Either way its not good. Good o’l Mike.

2 Likes

I think you took never as never. 2 guys over 20 years. You got ou coach who fired as many of his own brothers.

I know no matter what happened last year there are guys on here that want people fired. The thing is injuries and retaining oline have hurt the last 4 years. Also has sanders.
I hope bowman will not throw 3 or 4 pics. I also think he will have a shorter leash.

2 Likes

That stellar DC that we had that went to Ohio St and brought in to beat Michigan didn’t get the job done , he gave up more points to them…… so was it the coach here or the players… I say mostly the players. Knowles has another season like last year, Day loves firing coaches But that’s always your take joy. Gundy sucks blah blah

2 Likes

More bs from Gundy. He has fired coaches in the past–quite a few. He just doesn’t dismiss coaches at the same rate that many other programs do. In many ways that’s a good thing. It helps bring stability, provides some freedom and room to experiment for the coaches. The problem is that he’s had coaches over the years and there’s some on the current staff that SHOULD be fired. Call it loyalty or stubbornness or whatever you’d like. The fact is if Gundy were coaching at almost any other top 15 program (that’s his pay range), after a season like last year, it would be fire some assistants or face the chopping block himself.

4 Likes

You bring up a great point about retaining OL. Which is exactly why Gundy should have fired Dickey. He’s not retaining or developing the one’s he keeps.

I do think Bowman will be more careful with the ball than Spencer. Fewer pics. But if he has a shorter leash, your options are Rangel, Gunnar and Zane who I’m sure coaches don’t think is ready yet. I hope Bowman is really good and Rangel has improved a lot.

2 Likes

Since 2012 he’s fired Bill Young, Greg Adkins, and Glen Spencer. Not sure who else would be on that list off the top of my head.

1 Like

That stellar DC also took them from 40th to 12th in overall defense in one season. This is what I don’t understand about some of the clowns like you on this board. If someone does that at OSU they’re praised by you and it was a great hire by Gundy. If they do it somewhere else then they’re a loser. That stellar DC was also the largest reason Gundy got to almost sniff another conference title for only the second time in 17 years. Because it sure as hell wasn’t Dunn and his 64th ranked offense that go them there. Yea….let’s retain that guy!!! Get a clue!!!

2 Likes

By retaining means retiring guys getting kicked offthe team
Dickey has nothing to do with that.

Players who leave to play at another college has nothing to do with Dickey. Actually works against your thought.
If a backup leaves to starts at another college and does. That means the player knew he could start at osu and didnt want to ride the bench. When those players go and start at other college means they were developed
I wount call you an idiot. I know you have serious issues with logic

1 Like

Michigan scored the most point in big 10 play against knowless. He was stacked with 4 and 5 stars.
Osu had the players. Its not knowless.

1 Like

Expect some mediocrity then before Mike rides off to retirement!

1 Like

Hey Bill, you do know that the decision to retain the DC isn’t really under HCMG’s control right? Sure he has input but the important stuff is someone else’s call.

1 Like

Actually it does. Because despite what you want to believe it’s doubtful that ALL of them are simply leaving to get playing time somewhere else. There could be a variety of reasons they’re leaving. Dickey, wether he likes it or not, is still in a position to ensure he can get the best quality possible. That even includes the depth on the roster. As a coach in college football you’re now in a unique position where you find yourself recruiting your own players again after each season. I don’t like the concept but it’s now a reality they must face.

Gundy has finally figured out you can’t ignore the portal any longer either. You can’t continue to lose guys while barely replacing them and expect what you’ve recruited to develop fast enough to stay competitive and win several games. After the 2021 season we barely hit up anyone in the portal. The quality of our starters and depth reared its ugly head in 2022 and it showed. Especially on the offensive line. While Dickey may of had success in the past at K State it’s simply not showing at OSU.

None of his own recruits have been drafted. He struggles to retain and maintain any consistency across the offensive line. He’s struggled to keep high school recruits committed to the school. The players he’s recruited that are still here have simply not developed to the point where they need to currently be at. If you don’t believe me then ask Mike Gundy. How many times have we heard Gundy consistently say “We’re not really where we need to be yet” when he’s asked about the offensive line during fall practices?

If you have nothing to show a kid that you can help get them to the next level (or even be looked at) at the respective school you’re employed at then why would they continue to believe you or take a chance with you? Eventually some of them are going to transfer to a school with a coach that’s proven it or commit elsewhere. Not saying that’s the case with all of Dickey’s lineman, but I’m sure it’s been the case for some.

I was speaking in reference to Dunn. Try to keep up here.