What We Know (and Don't Know) About Chuba, Tylan, Monken and Dunn

New year, same insanity.

Following a two-day heater of Todd Monken rumors, Kasey Dunn info and finally a Tylan Wallace confirmation, the mill continues to churn in 2020 with Chuba Hubbard’s upcoming decision looming large.

We decided to try and compile everything we know, think, don’t know and would like to know based on everyone involved.

What We Know

• Kasey Dunn is staying. This is an open secret by now. He’s not going to UNLV. He’ll be coaching at OSU again next season in some capacity.

What We Believe

• I believe Todd Monken has (at the very least) been contacted. I noted this the other day, but this could mean any number of things. The most notable thing here, though, is that there isn’t currently a job opening in Stillwater for him to apply for. Also, though there’s some smoke there, I think it’s more “hey, so where’s Monken going to work next year?” smoke than anything else. For now.

• I believe Chuba Hubbard is returning. I now think that based on conversations with various people. One person close to the situation said he feels good about Chuba returning, and when you combine that with other convos I’ve had with people I trust, plus the player troll job on Thursday night, I now think this is going to happen. That could change five times before his actual announcement, but I think now I would be slightly surprised if he left (which is crazy!).

• I also believe he’s the most fluid of all of these entities. That by this time tomorrow or Saturday, things could have flipped. It’s exactly like recruiting, but with far higher stakes.

What We Don’t Know

• What’s up with Sean Gleeson. I haven’t been able to get very close to that one. It remains a mystery, although the logic of Dunn staying and presumably getting (another) raise, extension and responsibilities bump implies that it wouldn’t be wildly surprising to see Gleeson either move on or his role diminished. One person I trust said potential co-OC for Dunn.

• When Chu will make his decision. Again, not much would surprise me here, but between the Canada troll and some other chatter, I wouldn’t be surprised if we go into the weekend with an answer.

What We’d Like to Know

• How the Tylan news has affected Chuba. If you haven’t read this on Tua’s decision, it’s fascinating. We make these things so binary (raises hand as chief culprit), but what Chuba and Tylan just want to come back and try to win a Big 12 title together?

Also, this hasn’t gotten nearly enough eyeball emojis.

• How Chuba’s family is affecting things. Again on the Tua piece, I think we think coaches or players or money or whatever has the most sway. I think more often than not, it’s actually probably your family.

• What the Lincoln Riley situation is. He lost a big-time QB recruit this week, which might mean nothing but also might not mean nothing. Related: What the Matt Rhule situation is. What if OSU returns Chuba and Tylan and the two coaches coaching in last year’s Big 12 title game are coaching in the NFL next year? Unlikely … not impossible.

22 Likes

If Chuba comes back, Monken comes back, Lincoln Riley and Matt Rhule both leave… (i realize extremely unlikely) would there be a bigger hype lead up to a football season in Stillwater ever?

4 Likes

Not only that but it’s within reason to see every game next year with away games all within a 4/5 hour drive.

1 Like

Even if all that did go down, OU’s not going to hire some scrub HC. Remember when we were all excited for Riley to take it over from Stoops?

5 Likes

Oh, for sure, but they will at least have to have a process. Stoops retiring with Riley as the coach-in-waiting was a smooth transition. Riley goes? They have nobody on staff that is set up to take over. That transition (coupled with them losing a good chunk of their best talent to the draft) could open things up a little. Hell, maybe it’d give Mike one last chance to poach his brother away from the Empire!

6 Likes

Thanks for the info! This makes me want to keep my PFB+ sub for sure.

I wanna hear the @kyleporterCBS take about how Bryce Thompson makes his way to OSU, though (one of Porter’s 5 predictions involved this).

6 Likes

We all are 100% confident in the NCAA coming down hard on KU. @kyleporterCBS reasoning is that the hammer comes down so hard, Bryce has no choice but to reconsider his options …

10 Likes

I’m just here for the Bryce to Stillwater talk!

4 Likes

Interesting. Is there smoke signals or is it conjecture? The biggest indicator to me is how big of an Adidas school KU is.

3 Likes

I can’t totally speak for KP, but I think it’s mostly conjecture mixed with some forward thinking. Based off what I’ve heard, Kansas is going to get absolutely smashed. And if KU gets absolutely smashed with penalties before Bryce arrives, he’d likely have an out.

13 Likes

Fascinating stuff. Worth every penny I pay per month.

Thanks for opening up the chamber for this!

5 Likes
2 Likes

2011 hype would be hard to beat.

1 Like

Not really OSU related, but related to the Tua piece linked in the story. I’m a physical therapist and I have the pleasure of working with some phenomenal doctors. I was talking with our “hip guy” and he says he is following Tua very closely. Says it is HIGHLY unlikely he will ever play again based on his injury. Says the surgeon who did the procedure is world class, but it’s a Bo Jackson to situation. Says even if he is able to keep his hip (a big if), then it won’t be able to handle the stress.
Just an interesting take to share.

4 Likes

See…that indicates we’ll know sooner than later.

1 Like

The hype train would be so ■■■■ strong, I bet it would jump the royal gorge.

:crossed_fingers:t2:Lincoln logs and matty ice take a step up.
My vote for HC in Norman would be lil Gundy. He’s been there forever and I think that would mean something.

1 Like

This all has me remembering all the excitement of the spring of 2009. Then Dez has dinner and Zac got hurt. Sorry for the grim outlook

1 Like

Forgot about the '09 hype. The SI cover. That was big time, then Case Keenum brought us crashing to earth.

1 Like

My sister is in the athletic orthopedic surgery field and works closely with Dr Anderson and she has a similar medical opinion on Tua.

1 Like

I realize the transition wouldn’t be as smooth as last time, but we all know how Gooner Magic works. It won’t be as bad as expected either.