Why Mike Gundy Thinks Conference Realignment Will Happen Again Soon

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/why-mike-gundy-thinks-conference-realignment-will-happen-again-soon/

Don’t be surprised if 2021 was just the start of another seismic shift in conference realignment.

Gundy every once in awhile reminds of us some things that he predicted in the past that have come true. But this prediction of his about realignment seems obvious. I hope by this OSU is in a position to reject any offer from the Pac 12. Let them know that they don’t have enough aggie going for them.

1 Like

With the Big Xll adding Cincinnati, Houston, BYU and UCF, it really resurrected itself after losing the 2 backstabbers. This conference should really be considered the third best conference in football ahead of ACC and Woke12.

3 Likes

The PAC 12 has the same problem the old Big XII had. Southern Cal plays the role of Texas. They block the PAC 12 from adding anyone because they do not want the extra competition. They have no incentive to improve the collective value of the PAC 12 because if the conference folds or ceases being profitable, Southern Cal can join whatever conference they want or go independent. It puts the rest of the conference in a no-win situation because they can’t afford to piss off Southern Cal and push them out the door, so they just have to sit around and pray the Trojans stick around, much like we did with Texas.

4 Likes

Agreed. Let the Pac12 wallow in mediocrity.

2 Likes

…look who just caught up (Gundy)… This was not his rhetoric in years past. :thinking: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

If only the Big 12 had had this wisdom a decade ago. I seem to remember it being discussed here a lot!!

The Big 12 is on life support. jmho. We have a stay of execution that won’t even last until 2025, but just until the OU/Texas move to the SEC. I would welcome Pac 12 inclusion. A decade ago, it was the ACC who would have been absorbed into the inevitable 4 super conferences, with the Big 12 being the second most attractive. Now, we have waited too long, gotten too frayed and the old worn out Big 12 is pretty much doomed in the long run. I doubt more than 1 season will be played in the new 12 team format. Perhaps time will prove me wrong… but so far, it hasn’t.

The pac 22 just wants to make enough money to pay for their Olympic sports. They do not care about football. They dnt even care about nfl out there.
Dnt let me talk about the acc.

2 Likes

All of which is probably more true than not… so, how badly has the Big 12 been managed to be a lessor football conference at this point!!! jmho… Those of the Big 12 who cowered in the corner for the mighty Longhorns a decade ago, with the Sooners at their side, now get to face the death of the cowards that they were. I prefer to die on my feet, than live (conference wise) on my knees. 10 or 12 years ago, the addition of these teams and a ‘leave if you want’ to the Longhorns would have been proactive. Now, it is desperation and it reeks… I mourn the death of the Big 12 in advance. Perhaps in 2025, someone can let me know that I was absolutely wrong to do so. ;-\

I personally am glad we lose Texas and ou.
I believe in the end it will be great.

3 Likes

While I hate that the original Big 12 ever split up (Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, A&M), I am very optimistic about the new Big 12. Even excited about it. I honestly think that the conference will be improved from its current 10 teams. We will have to prove that to the rest of the country though, and I completely understand that. The best scenario is for our Cowboys to run the table the first year that OU/Texas are gone and win whatever bowl they are selected to (assuming that we wouldn’t be invited to the playoff). The conference is going to have to improve non-conference scheduling, at least initially and we are going to have to understand that we a not going to get the benefit of the doubt.

2 Likes

I will share in your optimism… I have none in that regard. Thanks.

Just follow me. It’s all golden.:innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Ditto my response to robert28… I admire the optimism. The TV money power brokers have been easing to a 4 super conference college football scenario for a decade. They have been easing the NCAA out of college football for those 64 (yet to be finalized) teams as well. Very soon, the NCAA will not regulate what we know now as FBS football. ESPN will, even if not under that name. While the Big 12 may exist as a conference in name, it will not be part of the next realignment for the big college football money. I hope that oSu football is one of the 64 and at this point, we should be. But, it will mean leaving the Big 12.

1 Like

…so is urine… just to keep it in perspective, my friend!! (I gotta drink more water daily, huh!!!) :thinking: :mask:

2 Likes

The Pac-12’s not? They don’t get many eyeballs on their games, start and finishes too late. I watch some on occasion but it’s a great level overall of football.

First time for me to agree w/ you on something, LOOOOOL! Pac-12 footy is a snoozefest for the most part. No CST teams should want to join that average conference, at least in football.

1 Like

You are absolutely right. The only problem USC has, is where else are they going to go being on the left coast?