Why OSU Football Must Take New Approach in Recruiting

TCU has 12 in its last three classes alone, excluding 2015, 2016 and 2017 recruiting classes. Baylor has 10 during that span. OU has 42 and Texas has 46. — Might be a good point if we were losing to those teams, besides zerOU, on a regular basis. TCU’s been trash for a couple of seasons now, Texas has been for almost a decade! UT: Where 4- and 5-star recruits go to become 2s and 3s.

I think most fans and writers look too much into rankings which are HIGHLY POLITICAL. Do us a favor, writers, go back and re-evaluate recruiting classes after they’ve gone on and I think you get different numbers for EVERY TEAM.

Fact: We would’ve won a lot more games with better coaching. Even this season, should’ve won UT and Baylor games. TTU especially. We should’ve beaten zerOU twice in the last 5 seasons. Got outcoached!

I think some of the kids in this class are going to be very good. And it’s not as if it’s over. If we get Ngata (RB) that should bump us into the Top 20. Will it? Naw, cause the powers that be don’t want that. We needed more d-linemen. If they don’t offer that kid who’s in the portal at Arkansas someone should get canned!

2 Likes

Boone, I usually have your back and agree with, or at least understand, most of your takes. But, this doesn’t make any sense:
“Oklahoma State appears content with pulling in middling talent, trying to win 8-10 games, hoping its under-the-radar talent will outperform expectations.”
That’s nonsense! They’re “content”?! That makes it sound like they’re not trying for recruits. You realize we can’t just make guys sign with us. The whole “oSu FB is content to be mediocre” narrative is old. I’m surrounded by fanbases way outside of OK and they’re very envious of what Gundy’s created - and continues to sustain. Maybe some of our fans are just too close to the situation…

3 Likes

Well said Clint. I’m in Virginia and what Gundy has done is noticed by a lot of people who seriously follow college football.

2 Likes

What’s Gundy done different to stir up recruiting besides pretending to be Joe Dirt?

Win a ton of games (including some big ones).

2 Likes

Yet recruiting is going down. But wait, there’s good news, Gunnar’s on the way to save the day.

1 Like

Boone, just shaking my head here. You are just stirring the pot. OSU consistently wins above it recruiting class ranking. That has been and continues to be the storyline of OSU recruiting.

3 Likes

I know there’s a lot that goes on behind the scenes with budgets and what not that we don’t see but from my perspective it just seems like Gundy, personally, does not like to recruit, which I’m fine with. What I’m not fine with is not doing anything about it. From the outside looking in I’m not sure John Smith, again, personally, enjoys recruiting either so he brought on Chris Perry and Tyler Caldwell who have been out beating the pavement to meet guys and look how that has gone. We got the number one class. I get selling yourself and your program to a 16-18 year old kid probably isn’t fun but it’s a part of the job. If you don’t like it, find someone who does but don’t refuse to go after the stars because you don’t want to get too far out of your comfort zone.

Our 4 year recruiting ranking is 37. We finished SP+ at 30. We’re more or less what the recruiting rankings say we should be.

The real storyline ? …is how much better OSU ‘could be’ if Gundy/Staff recruited better?

He brought in 4 star Glass last year who redshirted. That was his first kid so I’d chill out on RB coach at this point big dog.

1 Like

This is typical Gundy with about 7 talented players and 3 more he’ll have found that are talented who did a good job evaluating. So 10 good players. I too am frustrated that we dont get 4 to 5 4 star kids a year. Instead we get 2 on average. Sometimes 3. Not enough but we do spot 3 star talent well that is better than their star grade.

1 Like

Until OSU can ‘routinely’ recruit 8-10 four star players with ‘each’ class we will not "routinely’ compete for B12 Championships… linemen-backs-QB’s …dont care…just more!
Holding on to the premise that cant be done in Stilly …is just…Silly

I would say even four or five, 4 star players each year gives you a shot. Problem is we get 2 to 3 year year. Used to get 3 every year now lately seems like just two. This year 1 so far unless we get one late. Gotta bump that number up to 2 or 3 more 4 star guys each year. That would put us 16 to 20 4 star guys on roster. Enough to have a shot at Big 12

Yep …gotta start somewhere…give me 3-5 as good starting point and I do back-flips down HOF avenue …1 of many bothersome aspects now is that recruits see OSU as not ‘rising’ program rather just another ‘mediocre wannabe’ program …self-fulfilling prophecy almost

That’s never going to happen! Definitely going the other direction.

Sorry. My bad Woz is tearing it up.

Absolutely agree with you …I am a ‘show me’ sort of guy …if you cannot ‘show me’ you are capable in 1 very important aspect of a job…then I have 2 choices:

1. Teach and give adequate time to demonstrate your ability
  2. Cut my losses and move on
    Gundy ‘moved on’ quickly from Adkins but was very slow with Spencer …hard to figure