10 Thoughts on Oklahoma State's 27-13 Season-Opening Victory against Central Arkansas

I would like that too. Mason was very good at it. We can do that , if you get interference you get the call Receivers need to catch the dam ball

1 Like

You still donā€™t know football joy, try to learn how they are developing some guys before B12 play
We played 65 guys Saturday

Yeaā€¦.thatā€™s what Iā€™d call it too after three embarrassing quarters of football.

Normally that D has a ton of stunts with guys coming from everywhere. I wonder if they purposely didnā€™t show much and they are going to unleash Oliver this week?

3 Likes

That is exactly what Naldo said after the game. They do this every year against inferior opponents in the first few games. We should see more in game two from the offense and defense.

2 Likes

Ding Ding Ding, finally someone who understands. As you say we never show our hand regarding the playbook in our first non conf game. Itā€™s the case year in and year out yet everybody is still losing their minds about the poor play calling, game planing, et al.

3 Likes

On the Offensive side, Iā€™ve made it back through Rangel and Bowmanā€™s drives - havenā€™t made it to Gunnarā€™s yet. They ran markedly different schemes.
Rangel had lots of classic OSU sets - 1 or 2 TEā€™s, 1 or 2 RBs - and almost always had a RB hand-off option.
Bowman only had a RB hand-off option on a very few plays. RB was either assigned to pass protect or drifted out for possible screen. Donā€™t know if he can make these calls at the line, or predetermined.

About the only nifty wrinkle we saw offensively was BPā€™s run plays.

Thereā€™s definitely a lot left in the tank that Dunn didnā€™t show the camera.

1 Like

Even if that were true. You still have much more talent than the other team, and that shouldnā€™t be a six point game going into the 4th quarter. Weā€™ve got some problems.

1 Like

I doubt Dunn had anything in the tank in the first place.

2020- 51st
2021- 46th
2022- 50th
2023- 77th

Iā€™m still waiting for Dunn to pull out that bag of offensive treats.

2 Likes

Yea that game was a big science experiment. Brand new offense, defense, playing 3 qbā€™s, tons of portal players playing for the first time, et al. Iā€™m pretty sure the coaches werenā€™t all that worried about the size of the score. As a bonus they also had some dudes on that CA team

3 Likes

Youā€™re correct. Too bad for us Klieman didnā€™t want him. O-line did NOT look any better than it has the last 5 seasons.

1 Like

My how in the world did we finish 12-2 with a 46th rated offense in ā€˜21 ā€¦ā€¦ donā€™t say defense,they were outstanding but they had some bad halves
Put up more derogatory stats joy , if only makes you look more stupid with all the games we have won. How about time of possession, now thatā€™s a real story teller of a game :roll_eyes:
:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

We ran at least 2 different offenses. Pro style with lots of TE and RB action with Rangel. Bowmen was almost pure Air Raid with empty backfield or lone RB assigned to pass protect. Havenā€™t gotten to Gunnar yet but seems like similar to Rangelā€™s sets.

Coaches were trying A LOT of stuff. Did I hear that 71 players took the field? If my math is right, thatā€™s the entire 3 deep.

And when a QB1 is finally announced, Gundy will simply point the entire fan base and media to the game tape. ā€œWhy arenā€™t we running an Air Raid with Bowman?ā€ - Welp geniuses, watch the fā€™ing tape for a change.

1 Like

Lots of people in here with a whole lot of excuses for a piss-poor performance on Saturday. How many different O lineman have to play miserably before youā€™re willing to question if maybe its the system and not the players thatā€™s the issue. How many times do I have to hear Gundy say, ā€œthe players have to play betterā€. Our players are good enough. Its the coaches who have to get better.

I also love the ā€œWe didnā€™t show the playbookā€ line. You think CAU was showing the playbook against us when running the same hb dumpoff over the right side right down the field for a touchdown. Its not like CAU busted out a bunch of reverses, flea-flicker, WR passes, etc. against us. They simply ran a normal offense. And yes, they failed to score, but they marched down to redzone almost at will against us, and I donā€™t believe that TCU or Kansas is going to flub two FGs, fumble the ball after a 25 yard reception, and have 2TDs called back on penalties just so they can give us a victory.

That said, Iā€™m actually willing to give Nardo a pass this year. Like it or not, the defense he has wasnā€™t recruited for his 3-3-5 scheme, and none of them have any experience in it. It took a couple years for Knowles system to gel, so any expectation of less for Nardoā€™s isnā€™t realistic. Yes, the bodies work and the 3-3-5 should be easier to recruit for, but hoping Collin Oliver can translate to LB is different from recruiting his for that role. Its not what he was recruited for in Knowlesā€™ defense. So my expectations are low for Nardo, but Iā€™m willing to give him a chance to see his system work.

I canā€™t say the same for Dunn. Iā€™m four years into his system, with a whole cachet of his recruits for his system, and the performance still sucks. Unlike Nardo, he doesnā€™t get the excuse of running a new system or that the players werenā€™t recruited for it. Iā€™ve watched OSU long enough to know what good and bad offenses look like. And what Iā€™m seeing from Dunn looks a lot more like Bob Simmons and Del Miller than it does Todd Monken or Holgy.

2 Likes

Our defense was outstanding in '21. Given the offensive support (or lack thereof), Iā€™d argue it was best in the country in '21. You will win a lot of games if your forcing 3 TOs and 4 sacks per game, like we did. And note, the 2 games we lost in '21, it was the offense that forgot to show up.

1 Like

We played 90 guys when we smoked Savannah State by 80. You can develop guys and still run rule your opponent. Just ask OU. They played every uninjured, eligible player on their roster this weekend.

1 Like

It wasnā€™t just the size of the score. It was the fact that we could hardly move the ball in three quarters against an FCS team. Is that something you think is sustainable in Big 12 play? I donā€™t, but if we can in some way $hi+ out a top ten defense then maybe we can. We got some problems.

Itā€™s called a top ten defense and Jim Knowles. You know it, I know it, and everyone in this forum knows it. The only two games we lost who had the ball last? Thatā€™s what I thought.

Iā€™m glad that weā€™ve started the season and we canā€™t figure out what kind of offense we want to be. That sounds like something a guy making 7.5 mil+ a year would do if heā€™s trying to establish championship football. Confusing your offense always works out for the best.

1 Like

You forgot the s on knowless.

1 Like