Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/10-thoughts-on-oklahoma-states-42-28-victory-against-ucf/
Takeaways from the Cowboys’ fourth straight win.
Defense better get for Houston next week. They’re looking really good.
I hope Case Keemun isn’t there
Anyone who suffered through the game in Omaha today should tune in!
Thought #8 - Glad the LB recognized the same thing I did… A lot of plays where the defense was out of position.
- Clean up turnovers
- No more slow first quarters by the offense
- No more slow first halves by the defense
- Keltner is looking fabulous
- Good second half adjustments
- Glad we got the second half turnover for a TD
- I’m really satisfied with the WR depth
- Won the turnover battle
- I thought the UCF player caught the ball when his knee was down out of bounds
- I liked the aggressiveness of trying to score a touchdown with 19 seconds left when it wasn’t necessary
Side Note:
As someone already mentioned. We’ve now won just as many games in five games this season as we did under the previous two years under Gundy. Evidence that coaching matters
.
One thing I like to see with a whole new group of players and coaches is the ability to take advantage when the other team hands it to you. That might seem like an easy thing, but there have been times in GOOD years that we haven’t been able to adjust or take advantage of an unintended gift. There’s also something about the two field goal math this season that keeps the game from ever getting away from us…if we have to kick more than two, maybe we then have a problem. I’m also working purely off memory here and no stats in front of me. Just saying, we kick a couple’a FGs in Tulsa on fourth down…we’re 5-0??? Also, Mestemaker’s the man.