A few things worth discussing

So I’ve had a few thoughts in my head that I thought people may enjoy chiming in on. I’ll lay them out and you can choose which you’d like to discuss or even all of them if you dare.

1- I haven’t seen it discussed in depth anywhere so if it was and I missed it I apologize. I was pondering how Ok St Football might take a significant leap forward with recruiting this year with essentially the same coaches minus a change at the QB coaching position. I was thinking “man wouldn’t it be awesome if Coach Dunn could go in more homes besides WRs?” Then it hit me like a brick that was stupid obvious. He’s the OC now! So typically the OC is more involved in recruiting more than just his position. So I would expect Dunn to be in the living room of guys like Camron Valdez, Quinten Moore, Jaeden Roberts, ect. So that’s one way to potentially create an upswing. Also, with Coach Dickey having another year to have established relationships and the other magic tools he uses to amaze guys like the previously mentioned Roberts he could bring in a BIG fish or two? How can that help us on the other side tho? Well. I’m glad you asked. It won’t. BUT Coach Knowles has shown he knows what kinds of guys can succeed in his system. If Trace continues to destroy B12 offenses and guys like Kolby and Tre continue to thrive, not to mention a guy like Thomas Harper emerging he could have tangible evidence that you can not only contribute but thrive in his scheme. One guy that I think may seem like a strange X factor to show incoming recruits. Calvin Bundage. If he returns to this scheme and is a monster in a controlled chaos role I think that will show a lot of the “tweener” but very valuable type of athletes that Knowles loves and built a living on at Duke that they too can come and kill it in that role. That excites me. I also like the fact that you will have some of the top talent on your front 7 to come out of the OKC metro area in close years all doing well on this defense. That could be a HUGE feather in the cap for Knowles when going after guys like Oliver, Swindall, Parker, Daniels, and Tatum in the upcoming class. Even tho I think a few are waiting on a Gooner offer I still would like us to take a swing at them. Anyways. This is one way I think recruiting could take a upswing this year.

2-This is a separate thought but one I’ve had since I saw the news about Dantonio leaving MSU. I think this could be a great look into a crystal ball of sorts for the argument of life after Gundy. Think about it. MSU and Ok St are similar in so many ways. Dantonio got to MSU in 2007. Gundy took over in 2005. Since he has taken over Dantonio has a 64% winning percentage in his tenure there. Gundy currently has a 66% winning percentage. Similar in Bowls, recruiting, ect. Even facing a blazing hot blue blood in Ohio St (Oklahoma) while also having a very good recruiting but underwhelming blood blue in Michigan (Texas). I would even compare OU and Ohio St both transitioning from coaching legends to younger coaches that have them doing even better. I may be reaching but it could be a decent way to see the trajectory of the program and whether they can take the next step or falter out of relevance with the changing of a long tenured coach. I’d love your thoughts on that.

3- The last one came from watching a interview with John Smith. He brought up Brock Martin and of course he and Malcom are training with the wrestling team. I know some top recruits Gundy and Co have pursued lately have also been wrestlers or basketball studs along with football players. One coming to mind is Marcus Hicks a 4⭐️ DL from KS that ended up at the school down south. I wonder if we could use Boyton or Coach Smith to possibly have a spot for them in their programs (if they’re interested of course) much like we have with Baseball in the past. Even as recently as the QB this year.

4th (last)- The last part of the 3rd thought is a nice Segway to this. With 4 QBs in this class. A 4⭐️, a Juco, a dual sport, and a grey shirt. Do you need to spend valuable time in this class pursuing a QB? If he isn’t a top flight guy that you HAVE to take then wouldn’t the time and scholarship be best used elsewhere? Like pursuing a couple stud RBs. I know the QB is usually the headliner and kind of puts a bow on your class but I think the room will be fine without taking one this season?

Anyways, that’s the thoughts I’ve had bouncing in my brain the last few days and wondered what you all thought? Hit me with your ideas on one or all and let’s have something to discuss until baseball. :+1:

7 Likes

I like a lot of your points! With the last one though, you ALWAYS take a QB. Always. Every year. No matter if you need one or not. Spencer is good, but he got hurt last year. Bullock is - like you said - a Daxx clone. Illingworth will need time to train. McLean (IMO) isn’t going to play football in any substantive capacity. And Gunnar I honestly want nowhere near the field. So, rather than looking at it as four QBs, we got the Next Big Thing, a stopgap if needed, and two scout-team players to go along with Spencer and the walk-ons. That’s not great. Like I said, always get a QB no matter what. Ten out of ten times, I’d rather have a Costello/Kolar situation happen where they leave than another Corndog situation where we had to go with the experienced walk-on because we weren’t comfortable with either the stud recruit or the transfer.

4 Likes

That’s totally fair. I know some people really think Gundy can develop into a good P5 QB. Myself being one of them. I do agree that Nolan probably never makes it to the gridiron. I even said as much in my eval of him on my post earlier. Just curious what people felt on the topic more than anything. I appreciate your input as always tho. I’m sure most will agree with you and rightfully so.

3 Likes

I agree on your Michigan St point. I’ve always felt that MSU and South Carolina are the two schools most similar to us, and with SC it’s only come in the last 10 years thanks to what Clemson has done.
Atleast coach Tucker at MSU is walking into a situation where, even though the name still looms heavy, their instate giant has stunk for a good part of the last 20 years.

2 Likes

This was the longest thing I’ve ever read.

3 Likes
  1. I hope so. Better recruiting would be great.

2. Gundy is almost assuredly going out the stoops/Peterson/Dantonio route. Closer to the stoops route where he has the successor on staff.

3. Would be pretty counter to everything happening in sports. So it might happen more and more but not at scale.

4. 4 or 3 star I’m good with.

2 Likes

Be a shame to read it all and not have a response to any of it…

I’m still googling some of the words. I don’t reed gud.

1. Recruiting should get better with Dunn in more rooms. But I doubt anyone here will ever be happy with our class unless it’s top 5.

2. Dantanio and Gundy have similar stats, but I think Gundy has a better rep. He may act like he hates the media and gundy fart noise but he does a really good job with them when he’s in a good mood it seems. I think OSU will be in a better spot due to Gundy’s “Cowboy Culture” and running a very clean program. There’s some smoke around MSU football due to some issues. Might hurt them more than Gundy who I’m assuming will groom the next HC.

3. MOOOOOREEEE multi sport athletes. They’re fun. I like them.

4. I think every class needs a QB, just in case. Doesn’t have to be a huge flashy guy because like you said the room is kind of full and has some serious talent. But injuries and transfers happen.

5. I don’t understand why @DrCCowboy doesn’t want Gunnar near the field. I think he could be good. Will he win a Heisman? No. But I don’t think he’s garbage at all and could be counted on to come in and clean up a win or just not screw up.

11 Likes

Wasn’t Kolar on that team as well tho? So just taking a guy isn’t useful. So that’s why I think in a year like this, taking a Wudtee or Kolar type guy could waste time and a spot on someone in a time where the transfer portal creates tough depth at other positions.

1 Like

That’s just it, though. We don’t HAVE depth. Not really. We have SS (can/does get hurt)/Bullock (a Daxx-level Bandaid)/Illingworth (presumably needs time to adjust) as reasonable QBs.

Costello is gone (likely).
We have two or three walk-ons who, come on, let’s not do the Corndog route again.
McLean won’t play football.
Gunnar had, to my knowledge, ONE offer from Eastern Michigan and maybe one other I can’t recall at the moment. That level of disinterest from everywhere else (be it from talent or the foregone conclusion that he was going to play for his dad) coupled with the built-in media narrative if he were to actually see the field makes me honestly wish he had gone elsewhere to spread his wings/etc. and then could have come back as a grad transfer if he really wanted.

Good points. I agree on the grooming of the next HC. For the simple fact that I believe he won’t want to hand over a program he built to just anyone.

But guys like Wudtee and Kolar couldn’t even get on the field over Corn. So I’m saying with the high level walk ons, paired with the fact that after this year Shane will probably be ready, so bringing in a “placeholder” type guy would just be a waste because that’s what all the others will be. If that makes sense?

1 Like

I get your point. I honestly do. But defections happen. Injuries happen. Disciplinary stuff happens, even if we try too hard to get players that rigidly fit our culture. Any manner of things could happen to deplete our QB core. For the most important position on the field, you want to have a surplus of players, not a deficit, and one scholarship per year on it seems like a smart way to continue having quality QB play without dipping into walk-on territory.

1 Like

That’s fair. I just would rather resort to the walk on over using the scholarship on guys like Kolar and Wudtee that can’t get on the field over walk ons. I get what you’re saying tho. It makes sense, but also I think not taking one this year could also not only give your more time and resources for recruiting different positions this season, but also might be something to use in the recruitment of a 2022 QB. Even tho they could have the top one in the state if they would choose to go that route (which I hope they do). Also, if you get to that point on your depth chart, the season is probably lost anyways.

I’m hoping that a significant boost happens because of PLAYING TO THEIR POTENTIAL next season.

2 Likes

you got jokes broooooo

1 Like

Lol, I hope you’re prepared to duck a lot, today. :rofl:

That must have taken you all day.

3 Likes

Honestly, I’m excited to see what Rattay can do out on the recruiting trail. I think we absolutely have to bring a QB in this year. Heck, we just signed a Juco kid because our depth is so bad. So turn Rattay loose and see what happens. May not get a big one this year but could grt a solid kid and really develop some relationships for next year.

4 Likes

I think getting a big one in 2022 is the important thing. I’m not too worried about using the time or resources on one in 21

3 Likes