A Look at the Legacy of Italian Wrestlers at Oklahoma State

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/a-look-at-the-legacy-of-italian-wrestlers-at-oklahoma-state/

A look at the Italian ties in OSU’s wrestling room.

1 Like

And there still coming

When I was at OSU we had an American Italian wrestler named Richie Leonardo. He was a starter and one of the best in the Big 8 conference. This would have been 1966-1970 era under Myron Roderick. OSU was still quite a force back then but parity was happening and we no longer waged total dominance over the rest of the field. Roderick wanted out of coaching the team so he could devote time to his quarter horse business and to become the head of some national racquetball association. When he retired that really was a blow to the wrestling program. He sure knew how to recruit.

1 Like

Love the paisan, generally warm people. Not wrestling related but still kinda. JT Realmuto, catcher for the Phillies, is nephew of John, Leroy, Pat, Mark, et al. One of their sister’s son.

Does anyone know who the Japanese wrestler is who competed for the Pokes who lives in Enid or Ponca City??? Owns a helicopter firm which surveys farm land or something like that. I was trying to remember who that was when I met Jyo Umezawa.

1 Like

Are you talking about the one who followed Utake ? Think he won 2 or 3 championships

Not sure if this guy won any natties. You might be thinking of one of the Hatta brothers or Fujita? I can’t even remember where I read that, about owning a helicopter surveying firm and it might just be one helicopter.

Fujita is the one I’m thinking of…… I thought he won at least 2, maybe 3 natties. If it is him I knew he followed Utake , had no idea he stayed here. He’s the only one who comes to mind for me

1 Like