A Look Back at OSU's First Wrestling Conference Title

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/a-look-back-at-osus-first-wrestling-conference-title/

Going back in time to 1917 and Ed Gallagher’s first conference title

1 Like

“the match went the entire 30 minutes”!?!?! holy hell.
I couldn’t wrestle 2/2/2 today without dying. who am i kidding - i couldn’t wrestle hard for the first 2.

2 Likes

Incredible! Thanks for this research and the fun story. If only there was an actual family line to John and Pat Smith… that would be quite a story!

2 Likes

Hard to understand how tiring wrestling is if you haven’t tried it.

2 Likes

Well done Seth, again. Looking forward to future posts.

1 Like

#serioustruth
And I haven’t done it on the mat since elementary school. But I’ve done some fairly serious “living room carpet” wrestling with my two teen sons (one at a time) and it is legitimately exhausting. Can’t imagine the energy expended at the collegiate level. Take my play wrestling and multiply by… let’s say 1000x?!

2 Likes

Fortunately, O A&M invented a scoring system, otherwise they would still be grappling for 30 minutes.
I don’t see OSU coming home with any trophy from the NCAA tournament. We might be a top 10 finish but certainly not top 4. Next season we should be a top 4 finish depending on how Kaid Brock can perform and at what weight he wrestles as.

I love Seth’s historical stuff. Would love to have time to do more historical stuff than we already do.

1 Like

Excellent work, and I appreciate the research it takes to find this kind of info.

3 Likes