All 10 Oklahoma State Wrestlers Ranked in First Coaches Panel Rankings

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/all-10-oklahoma-state-wrestlers-ranked-in-first-coaches-panel-rankings/

The first NCAA coaches ranking was release on Friday.

6 in the top 10 is great.

2 Likes

I would agree with the early rankings with a few exceptions. I think Carter Young is much better than his current ranking and he will prove this to be true before long. I also think Gfeller will rise in the rankings if he listens to coach Smith. I agree with the low ranking of Sheets since I have never been that impressed with his performance over all even though the bad injury last season really set him back. One of my favorite wrestlers at this point is Luke Surber.
6 ranked in the top ten is always good, but because of the great tradition of Cowboy wrestling, it is just not good enough. Anything less than a NCAA championship used to be considered a bad season. And as I have said before, years ago Cowboy wrestlers tossed their All-American certificates in the trash unless it said first place.

3 Likes

We certainly need a championship. , it’s been what, 16 years since we won one Will be tough this year with Iowa being so strong. Rutgers gave Penn St a run for awhile the other night

1 Like

Good to hear that Rutgers is building a competitive team.
I am afraid that John Smith is going to break Tommy Chesbro’s record for the most years in a row without a NCAA championship. Chesbro won one title and that was with the team that Myron Roderick recruited right before he retired. The program really has never been the same since Roderick left. It seemed strange the year after he retired seeing he and his wife in the seats in Gallagher Hall as spectators. Not sure what it takes to recruit the same level of talent as PSU and Iowa.

1 Like

Suber is pretty light but his speed helps. When those heavy’s lean on him he is going o get worn out. He could use some more muscle.

1 Like

One of main problem is the last few years we have a guy or 2 fall flat.
U need guys getting at least to the round there seed at.
And bonus point never hurt.

You bring up a great point! For years, Smith has not had our guys wrestling as aggressively on offense throughout the season, whereas Penn State and Iowa certainly have. This has come back to bite us at nationals.

1 Like

Plott will, continue to impress. Watch for a big finish at NCAA’s.

How on earth did we get AJ Ferrari to come to Oklahoma State?! That dude is phenomenal. He’s worth the price of admission by himself. Granted, he’s our version of Baker. If he wasn’t ours, I’d hate him. But I do wish more of that swagger was instilled into the program. That’s one of the ingredients to the next Natty. Not sure we will get there on John Smith’s watch though.

Me and kspoke meet at the tcu. He really a nice guy. He can turn it on and off. I dnt think baker can.

1 Like

I agree. I think Ferrari the wrestler is separate from Ferrari the person. Whereas Baker is just a d-bag all the time.

2 Likes

Yea Ferrari isn’t near the douch Bajer is. He’s supremely confident sure , maybe he pisses some people off with his confidence but I wouldn’t trade 10 Bakers for 1 Ferrari

1 Like