Audio, Transcript of Mike Gundy's Statements on COVID-19 Pandemic

I’m very disappointed in how PFB has handled this situation. Why does it seem necessary to attack someone who is just trying to be positive and forward thinking? While we can all expect the rest of the fake news and corrupt media to misconstrue a story, it is very disappointing to see it here on PFB. He never said he is going to put the athletes and staff in danger and go against the CDC’s or universitiy’s recommendation. Hate to see everyone complaining about someone looking at future options to get things rolling. At least he is staying positive and not complaining like everyone in the country currently seems to be doing. What’s wrong with being an optimist? If this is how future situations will be handled I will be finding out how to cancel my subscription.

nothing wrong with being an optimist (I am) and having an opinion …both start with same letter …
PFB? the day they start just reporting the ‘facts’ is the day I look elsewhere…different viewpoints and opinions (+) others is a very large part of the value proposition of PFB for me …

1 Like

Hey, now! I pay good money to have @kyleporterCBS ‘s agenda pushed into my eye holes! I wish I could be a fly on the wall in the all holy PFB SlackChat™️ to hear how everyone’s opinions are incorrect and How Kyle squared are the only truly woke opinions that matter. Wash it down with a nice COOP lager and get back to showing me the best uni combos!

1 Like

His intentions are, as he said, to begin practices starting May 1st. And, if left at that, I do agree that it is a very reckless and insane statement to make. But, if you throw in the “if health officials say it’s okay” part, which was used by Gundy multiple times, it becomes a case of Gundy saying exactly what 95% of businesses, organizations, and even sports coaches are thinking. If the okay is given, they’re going to get to work. Just like almost everyone else in the country.

The problem with Gundy’s comments is that, though they were optimistic — and that’s fine — they were also entirely tone deaf. He essentially said they need to get players back to strengthen the state’s economy. Just because he hit us with a caveat of “if the medical people say it’s OK” doesn’t give him a license to say anything after the caveat. His comments weren’t taken out of context — they were a blatant disregard for the virus and brazenly stupid to willingly volunteer the health of his players for the well being of the state. And he said it a day after a healthy 22-year-old from Tulsa died from the virus. He doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

1 Like

If that were the case, our athletic department is full of craven titty babies. But, that’s on par with many of these snowflake football coaches. They run their mouths, don’t like when they are criticized, and want to play tough guy, all while collecting their multi-million dollar salaries. Thin skinned “tough guys” are the worst.

You say that he should have said what Boynton or Holliday said, but they did not actually say anything? They threw out some canned line that a communications major intern wrote. It is fine I guess, but it does not reflect their true opinions. You think that is what they say to their families over dinner? No way. Fans love that Gundy speaks his mind even when it does not line up with their own opinions. Nothing he said is out of line with what I imagine the vast majority of D1 coaches think. Go after his Bedlam record all you want. We welcome that. But do not crucify him for how he weighs the cost/benefits of reopening society after a pandemic.

When you say "Fans love that " you must be referring to Gundy fans because I know several OSU fans that wish he’d just shut his mouth and try to win the conference more than once every 20 years.

2 Likes

The attached chart is interesting assessment of the media measuring reliability and bias by independent research entity funded by public $'s… all media type(s) outlets
are included…OAN stands in stark contrast to NYT for example … worth a look… enjoy

3 Likes

This is good stuff. The one that is going to blow people’s mind is that Al Jazeera is a really good news source.

1 Like

Holder said football has to be played this fall for economic reasons.

Where’s the pitchforks & torches

:man_shrugging:

What does how political his news source have to do with anything anyway? So you don’t agree with his politics, what does that have to do with anything at all

I believe Gundy made comments about OAN being unbiased news, just facts. The chart shows where OAN falls in comparison with other news sources, and implies his statement is pretty incorrect. Chart seems pretty relevant to the conversation.

Well, the chart also says it’s no more biased than MSNBC, just in the other direction, and is widely accepted, so, again, why does it matter? I don’t really know anything about OAN, but still don’t see what politics have to do with the conversation of him being a football coach, or of his timing on starting practice

Right, so if Gundy said he got all his info from MSNBC, and said it was unbiased and just facts, that would be a problem. It’s no secret which way Maddow leans.

There is a pretty big cluster of media in the middle that is covering the virus 24/7. He’s a football coach who deals with the media often, and should know more about which companies provide the least biased information.