Big 12 Formally Invites BYU, UCF, Houston and Cincinnati, BYU Promptly Accepts

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/big-12-formally-invites-byu-ucf-houston-and-cincinnati-byu-promptly-accepts/

It’s official.

Now that is done. Are we still a power 5.
I would think if the 8 are power 5 now, they will be tomorrow.
Houston played with power five teams for years.
Ucf is the largest school in the nation.
Cincinnati is a power 5 team just like pitt wv and Louisville.
Byu is the noter dame of the west.

About money. With 5 million less being paid in tv revenue is the same amount of money for 12 that was being paid for 10.

Here are reason for.

They wouldn’t get any of the buyout right? They better not if or when it happens.

I’m watching the BYU sports TV show now. You cannot believe how pumped BYU nation is right now!! They are more comfortable in joining a Midwest league versus west coast. BYU’s first two bowl games were against OSU (OSU won of course). They have been talking about all the times they played Big 12 teams and now feel validated that they are truly a tier 1 sports university.

4 Likes

I think BYU and OSU could become a good rivalry. That’s the newest addition I’m most excited to see OSU play. If Iowa State keeps Matt Campbell I think them and Cincinnati could become a good rivalry as well.

1 Like

I actually feel really good about this. We get out from under OU’s perceived shadow, even though overall our athletic program is superior to theirs and it’s really not disputable. Let them swim around in the SEC and have Bama beat their a$$es regularly. The B12 is going to be an exciting, competitive conference that has a breath of fresh air with these new additions. We’re better for this, not worse.

I like all of these additions except Cincinnati. We had better options than them. 3/4 is about as good as you could expect from Bowlsby though.

This also makes me a little sad for the American conference teams. This latest round of realignment will cost the remaining Big XII teams fans and money, but it will also cost the Tulsas and SMUs fans and money. It really sucks that college football is getting less fun every year for large swaths of fans. The day is coming when it is only fun for about 8-12 schools. Everyone is looking out for their own self-interest and no one is safe guarding the sport itself.

1 Like

Hard to argue with this.

1 Like