Big Ten Reportedly Only Interested in AAU Schools, Which Would Exclude OSU

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/big-ten-reportedly-only-interested-in-aau-schools-which-would-exclude-osu/

Could OSU find a way around the AAU hurdle?

If they take us I dnt see ku going. Yes they are good basketball. Horrible football and no wrestling. Over isu with a rival in state.

1 Like

Let’s set a goal of being AAU. It might improve the comments section!

2 Likes

Now you’re talking (notice how I used the correct version of you’re) I do hope that typing class is part of the AAU certification as well.

There is so much speculation around this AAU thing it’s mind boggling and it’s a waste of time to read. Is there anyone out there that can definitely answer the question if OSU is locked out the BIG10 or not because of this AAU thing?

1 Like

When they pick ku and isu we will know.
If us or west Virginia goes we will know too.

Random thoughts:

*Would Ohio State block Oklahoma State joining the Big Ten? (OSU and OSU)
*Would Oregon State have the clout to block Oklahoma State in the Pac-12 (Again, same acronym)
*How does travel to Stillwater impact OSU’s other opportunities? I honestly don’t know.
*Create a “State Conference”: Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Texas State, Arkansas State, Missouri State, Kansas State, Colorado State, New Mexico State, North Dakota State & Utah State.
*Conferences like SEC, ACC and Pac-12 are going to need to alter their geographically descriptive names.

If big 10 is only interested in AAU schools, what’s the likelihood of them poaching pac 12 schools? Would that make it more likely that the big 12 pac 12 merge?

Yes there has been some talk out there about that very thing.

Honestly, if the AAU thing is really a sticking point for the Big 10, they should take Harvard over KU. Not a joke. Football-wise, KU is the biggest liability in the nation. People keep talking about the Kansas City TV market, but regional TV markets are all but irrelevant. Virtually all games are nationally televised in some form or fashion and absolutely NO ONE watches KU football games. Baylor, the second lowest team in the conference, attracts almost double the number of viewers that KU does.

I get that they are good in basketball (for now), but so is Villanova, and no one is lining up to invite them into their conference. Basketball is so low of a priority for these conferences, it is almost not even worth discussing.

1 Like

So what’s it take to get in the AAU? How long would it take? Why doesn’t the article at least address the feasibility of OSU joining the AAU?

Don’t know much about it except that you must be invited and that you cannot apply. I think there are 64 schools in the club. Apparently there is a lot of research money to be had if you are a member so it’s important from that perspective. A side benifet is that it lets member schools be bullying snobs (looking at you Big 10) to schools that aren’t part of the club. Best I can tell being an AAU member has no bearing on athletic conferences.

1 Like

I think I read somewhere that FSU has been working towards it for the last decade and still isn’t in it. I’m not sure how reliable that is though.

1 Like

Again I believe that there are things that you need to have in place to be invited but even if you have your ducks in a row so to speak there is no guarantee that you will be invited to join.

I think you’re right. For a group of people that tend to lean heavily in favor of people being equal and having the same opportunity as others seem to be pretty against it when it doesn’t benefit them.

Thats r problem, if we get ducks in a row we shot them.:rofl::rofl::rofl::crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face: