Bob Bowlsby to Step Down as Big 12 Commissioner Later This Year

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/bob-bowlsby-to-step-down-as-big-12-commissioner-later-this-year/

Bowlsby spent 10 years at the helm.

Just like a washed up Big Ben. They let him hang around 3 years too long…

2 Likes

Sounds like Holder and Shrum warned Bowlsby about OU leaving and he dismissed them both.

1 Like

This is a really sanitized article compared to what I read online with quotes from the people in power who said he was fired because of fail to perform. He was ineffective in negotiating tv rights with networks, etc., and failed to act when warned by Mike Holder that OU was leaving. So 2 articles showing Bowlsby in opposite lights. I have to admit he came to power with quite an impressive resume’.

Well we need a home on the next one.
As long as the next guy gets a better deal the pac12 it’s the best we can do.
I dnt know what Bob could have done to stop ou leaving with out giving up our shares.

With basketball being rated high with 3 straight finals and 2 wins. And still the 3rd league. We got a product.
All being done with out ou and Texas.

1 Like

Don’t let the door hit your asss on the way out Bob. Absolutely worthless.

1 Like

I’m just curious, not fighting.
Ou and Texas bullied every top guy. What was he suppose to do.
This should be a good thing. If the next guy is better

1 Like

He had zero idea they were leaving until A&M leaked it. Just months before he was talking about “realignment doesn’t keep me up at night” during Big 12 media days. The guy is a fool and I’m glad he’s gone. Baylors AD on the list of potential replacements that’s floating around looks pretty good considering how well their football and basketball are doing.

2 Likes

Yea I get all that. But. What could he have done to stop it. We tried to shame them.
Going to 16 with ou and Texas won’t get the deal that the sec would give.
We would have gave them a bigger cut.
I’m glad they left. Blameing Bob is pointless in my mind.
Us make a good deal is the next step.

1 Like

Good!!! Dude’s spent the last 10 years destroying the conference. Literally making large sums of money for absolutely doing nothing.

I’ve seen worse look at the acc deal, they still have 13 years left

1 Like

The reason Bowlsby was selected and remained employment was due to UT and OU demanding influence which everyone excepted. He had the chance to raid some really good ACC teams and blinked is my biggest disappointment of his time. Probably why ACC took that lousy TV deal was survival mode. OU and UT have never been good conference partners IMO (Big 8, SWC, Big 12). The irony is their downward trend in the CFP and ESPN paying too much in the first place had a lot to do TV negotiation challenges. The silver lining is OU and UT will probably face the same fate as CU, NU, & UM.

2 Likes

You are absolutely correct that OU and Texas bullied the other commissioners too. Good call! But I have no problem w/ him letting OU and Texas walk. I thought he did an admirable job of getting the four teams that he was able to get to replace them.

Here’s where my issue is: he should’ve been gone long ago for failing to punish Briles/Baylor. Other smaller screw-ups along the way as well. Stuff that happened long before OU and Texas bolted for the money.

Good riddance, Bob. You were always a step behind, and always the last one to know it.

One major thing I forgot is his failure to get a conference network up and running. He had his head up his a** while Texas and ESPN fired up that money-drain called “The Longhorn Network”.

3 Likes