Boynton Doesn't Want Fans to Lower Their Expectations after Missing NCAA Tournament

Originally published at: Boynton Doesn't Want Fans to Lower Their Expectations after Missing NCAA Tournament | Pistols Firing

‘I’m gonna be as committed as ever to making sure that we don’t have this feeling moving forward.’

We’ve never had lowered expectations. His problem is that he can’t coach to a normal expectation. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if this team loses to Youngstown State.

3 Likes

This is literally Travis Ford all over again, minus the horrible contract. Great guy, heart in the right place, tries like hell, recruits fantastic, but just can’t turn it into W’s. Same exact thing as Ford.

4 Likes

It’s not my expectations that have been lowered. It’s my ability to care that has been.
I think he’s a good man, but as a coach he’s not cutting it.

4 Likes

Mike knows, he’s fully aware we haven’t lowered the bar any an expect more. He’s been around enough to know his seat is getting warm. Great recruiter, doesn’t improve them much, …Ford recruited guards , Boynton big men. Wish we had o d of Fords guards next year.

Saw where Harris was having another ACL surgery. He’s probably done. He should have hung ‘em up last year. Great kid

3 Likes

At this point, I’m almost expecting a loss. Thankfully, it’s on ESPN+ so if we lose, not many will see it.

2 Likes

it actually isn’t. Because Travis Ford’s teams MADE IT TO THE TOURNAMENT consistantly (they just couldn’t win games once they got there).

4 Likes

You can say we were “banned” as the reason we didn’t make the tournament but it’s just a cop out. We went 15-15. We weren’t making the tournament.
Let’s face facts. Holder gave the job to someone with 0 head coaching experience and we are paying the price. K-state, ISU, tcu, and WV are not more talented than us but are clearly better coached. And next year you are adding Houston to the schedule.

3 Likes

The ban is the only year I’ll give a pass on. Guys knew there wasn’t anything to play for and didn’t give their full efforts. Can’t say I blame em either. Busting ass all year knowing it ultimately won’t amount to anything has got to suck. Not making it this year is embarrassing though.

1 Like

And yet a year later with a more experience team we didn’t make it. So you can give them a pass but the end result was us not being good enough to make the tournament

1 Like

I don’t disagree with this year. Sitting at home with this talent is embarrassing.

1 Like

Unfortunately for Boynton, our expectations are high. IMO he has one year left. Love the guy but let me point out some glaring stats. First things first though. Travis Ford barked at the refs all game. It was exhausting to watch. Both Mike and Travis can recruit, but one was better than the other when it comes to team shooting percentages.

YEAR / Shooting % Rank / 3PT % Rank / FT % Rank

Boynton
22/23 - 242 / 324 / 274
21/22 - 187 / 345 / 327
20/21 - 64 / 199 / 178
19/20 - 225 / 266 / 93
18/19 - 270 / 46 / 246
17/18 - 235 / 175 / 42

Underwood
16/17 - 44 / 6 / 4

Ford
15/16 - 246 / 251 / 66
14/15 - 159 / 157 / 50
13/14 - 57 / 80 / 106

Boynton’s teams can’t shoot. Period. You can play all the defense you want but if you can’t shoot you can’t win. The free throw shooting is atrocious. Boynton should be looking to hire the best shooting coach available. Or … It’s get your resume ready time.

2 Likes

They need to demote Boynton to recruiting and PR and hire a real coach. Boynton can recruit with the best of them. He just can’t develop that talent. I would hate to lose the guy completely.

My expectations are thoroughly lowered, especially after this first half against Youngstown. It’s just a train wreck.

2 Likes