BYU Athletic Director Says Big 12 Will Have Two Divisions, What Could They Look Like?

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/byu-athletic-director-says-big-12-will-have-two-divisions-what-could-they-look-like/

The Big 12 has options when making divisions.

East/West looks funky with ISU, KU, KSU, OSU, TCU, BU, and UH all essentially on a line from North to South. The North/South map looks cleaner, but the WV to BYU trip and vice versa is a bit much. I think it lands somewhere like the split Texas map that Marshall posted. Will take getting used to for sure however it lands.

Can’t wait to hear sombody gripe, “but they don’t even have to play OSU every year!” :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

We should strive to stay with the Texas schools. I don’t see KU and ISU being happy with being separated from Texas and paired with UCF, however. Interesting to see how this works.

I think the East West divisions makes the most sense.

North/South please…from a fan in Orlando

I want to see a Mormons vs Baptists matchup.

I would rather see no divisions and have everyone play everyone (a true conference). 11 conference games and 1 big-time non-conference game. Let the other conference fart around with the Missouri States of the world. We need the money, exposure, and something unique to offer fans/recruits.

2 Likes

Question. Why do the divisions have to be geographical? I know that’s what’s always been done (less travel distance, cost etc) but it’s pretty obvious geography doesn’t matter anymore.

Rotate between a different P5 and Tulsa every other year could be fun. As long as Gundy actually has the team ready to go instead of sleep walking into the game.

Every Big XII school in competition for postseason spots will be battling the national narrative that “they didn’t play anybody.” We should preemptively combat that by doing offering up the most challenging schedules in the country. Probably too innovative for ol Bob Bowlsby though. He will wait until the SEC makes that move and then copy them.

I was on another site guy had a neat pod system. He did do a weird they by flip Houston and ksu.

So
Osu tech byu
Ksu isu ku
Baylor tcu Houston
Ucf wv cincy
This would set up a 8 game season but playing a lot of different teams two year
Plus using sec model of 8 game more bowls.

1 Like

You know what. That’s not half bad. Having an 8 game conference schedule means an even split of home/road games which helps with travel. Also, having 4 non-conference games gives more opportunities to schedule games against big names which helps with exposure and revenue.

2 Likes

Thats why I dnt like 14 teams. U can make pods and u will never see the other teams in the other division.
16 teams with 4 pods and 9 games is the same as the 3 pod 12 team

After uO and Tejas leave, with two 6-team Divisions, then “travel distance” considerations and equal distribution of the new teams (two in each division) then East and West makes sense, with oSu and BYU paired with the four Texas schools. If you play three cross-over, home and home games each season (total nine league games) you would play each team in the “other division” twice every four years. I could go with that. Seems the competitiveness distribution would be close, as well, with a slightly more difficult division (currently) represented in the West, but with most of these teams, talent comes and goes every season, so it is unpredictable. The only current outlier is Kansas, but their new coach seems like the right guy for the job. Bringing in BYU for the 2022-23 season, I would make sure uO and Tejas travel to BYU for that game.