BYU, UCF, Cincinnati and Houston Reportedly Frontrunners in Big 12 Expansion

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/byu-ucf-cincinnati-and-houston-reportedly-frontrunners-in-big-12-expansion/

Two sets of Cougars, Knights and Bearcats are early contenders in Big 12 expansion talks.

Not a bad group considering what’s available, I would’ve liked to maybe see Memphis in there but I have no idea what their viewing numbers are.

2 Likes

I like those 4 candidates. I am ready to get them on board. It seems like we always talk but never take action.

do you not have another source than the athletic…its a west coast company…promoting the west coast

Not surprising. I’m just curious how the divisions will look if these four are the only ones added:
West: Baylor, BYU, Houston, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech
East: Cincinnati, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, UCF, West Virginia

Maybe go with a three pod set up:
East: Cincy, Iowa State, UCF, West Virginia
Central: BYU, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State
South: Baylor, Houston, TCU, Texas Tech

Guess we’ll find out in time.

I like it.

My question is how soon would these guys start and will our outgoing members play them before they jump ship ?

Could you imagine the new guys besting them ? Texas would probably pee down their leg and run away quick .

1 Like

So……

North Division:

BYU, Cincinnati, Kansas, K State, Iowa State, West Virginia

South Divison:

OSU, Tech, Baylor, TCU, Houston, UCF

Your east west scenario makes the most geographical sense, I don’t think with only 12 teams they’ll do the pod format.

I like the idea of getting back to 12 teams (although not the 12 you mention). However, I think everyone should still play everyone. That would give us 11 conference games and 1 non-conference game.

Let the other conferences keep playing 2-3 throw-away games every year. The Big XII needs to be unique if it is going to survive. Doing the same thing the other conferences are doing with half the talent/money/fans is the best way to keep our seat in third-class forever.

I am fine with all of those. And they should move quickly, not wait. Particularly BYU. Make a deal. A part of me would like to see Boise State and I think they’d be a good add football-wise but understand their academics is pretty weak.

1 Like

I know the B1G and PAC 12 focus on academics, but I don’t think we should. I don’t believe we have that luxury.

I’d love to see bsu, SMU, USF, and Memphis join to make it a 16 team conference. This protects us from future poaching and unequivocally identifies us as the best conference (outside the power 4).

We need to redefine the big 12. Right now, it’s viewed as a plain state conference (no offense, WVU), with only regional appeal.

Go big 16!

You have to go get BYU and then it’s super easy to get boise state .

BSU and Memphis are all I’d really want after/if we get the other 4.

Looks like there could be a year overlap ! I bet the red River bros are out sooner though .