Cade Cunningham/Bryce Thompson recruiting nuggets

It definitely dampens the spirits a good deal, but all we can do is hope we’re not out of it yet.

Agreed. Even if his hire was dependent on his brothers commitment, no way Boynton would do that.

A) terrible pub - bad to do to Cannen and makes you look like a sore loser
B) Boynton has more class than that

I agree that he wouldn’t fire Cannen within a month or two, but if we miss on CC, I am confident in saying there is approximately 0% chance that his brother is on the staff AFTER this season.

Also, Erik Spoelstra was a video coordinator so I wouldn’t knock that. Don’t be fooled by title, it’s a way to get another coach around. What is Aleutian Page’s Title? Also, he’s very young and had to start somewhere. He’s been under Larry Brown and Mike Dunleavy. That ain’t bad

!! Cade Webb in the house, folks. (We’ll get you some good news real soon, man.)

1 Like

Three months was generous! If I were Boynton and Cade committed elsewhere, I’d fire Cannen on the spot. I’m not overstating this: he has one job and everyone knows what it is …

Spoelstra was a video coordinator, sure, but he was Pat Riley’s guy from day one. Rose quickly because of that. And before he became a coach, he was heavily involved in advanced scouting and excelled there – advanced scouting being one of the toughest jobs in the NBA.

And he probably scouted opponents too. Again he probably did more than his title indicates. I’m not saying he’s the next Spo, but he has experience playing for and coaching under great coaches. While I doubt he’d be retained for a second season i don’t think he gets canned immediately.

Also, I’m assuming above about fire immediately was tongue in cheek, but if not surely you see the PR nightmare that would be.

Also, if you fire immediately all you do is make it a national headline and keep it in the news longer than you need to. If we miss on Cade then we want to make as small a deal as possible of it.

2 Likes

You guys don’t think he hired Kontackis or whatever his name was to bring in certain guys? It’s done all the time. Some coaches are hired guns.

Interesting. Thought it’d be a dual benefit type deal. Cannen has Dallas connection and can bring Cade

I’d be very surprised if Boynton backed down from the hire if Cade went somewhere else. Boynton seems like a calculating man where if Cade didn’t work out his brother would in many aspects.

I don’t think he would fire Cannen right away or even within a few months, but I would imagine that Cannen would no longer be employed at OSU after the year ended. He’s not enough of an asset to warrant keeping him on staff without his brother since he doesn’t bring enough to the table if he can’t close literally the only deal he was hired to finish.

1 Like

I have a serious issue with hiring someone to do a job that isn’t their real job. Call me old fashioned but an expectation of getting his brother on the roster based on his hire is an ultimatum on Boynton’s part.

That’s how the game is played now. It’s not illegal. It’s not unethical. It’s just how college basketball works now. I wouldn’t imagine Cannen is stupid and he likely would not have taken the job without an understanding that an unspoken condition of getting and keeping it was bringing in his brother. USC hired Eric Mobley to bring in his two sons. SMU hired Tyrese Maxey’s dad to try to sway him away from Kentucky. Larry Brown hired Danny Manning’s dad. John Calipari hired Dajuan Wagner’s dad. Washington and then Mizzou hired Michael Porter Jr’s dad. You do what you have to in order to compete as long as it’s legal. I think it’s a mark of Boynton wanting to play with the big dogs and being willing to go toe-to-toe with them however he can.

4 Likes

Totally agree

For as much fire and brimstone this blog stirred up when Gundy pulled a scholarship, you seriously think Boyton would fire him 3mos in given all the national publicity hiring Canen got? I feel like you’re just playing devils advocate to stir conversation.

3 Likes

Might be one of those encouraged to find other opportunities after the season is over type deals. Which wouldn’t surprise me.

If cade commits, after his 1&done I would be surprised if Cannen was encouraged to take a job elsewhere too.

Seems pretty transactional, cannen bring us Cade, and your payment is the resume boost and nice salary.

2 Likes

This is a good point. And one both sides are willing participants in.

2 Likes

I 100 percent believe what I’m saying about Cannen being ousted pretty quickly if Cade went elsewhere. Not stirring the pot. And I think there’s a huge difference between pulling a scholarship for petty reasons, as Gundy did, and firing a coach whose job is literally one bullet point long. If he can’t tick off the one bullet point checklist, then adios.

I don’t know that Boynton would do it, just because he’s thinking the long game because there are always elite recruits with family members that could be hired. Firing that quickly isn’t a great motivator for those future possibilities. That being said, if Cannen doesn’t deliver, he’s absolutely gone after the year because, like you said, he couldn’t close literally the one thing we hired him for. In that sense, we don’t want that kind of failure around the team. Still, ‘canning’ him (to touch on a terrible pun) immediately - while totally justified - is not quite what I feel MB is about. He’s too cunning for that.