Change my Mind: The Big 12 should become the Big 14

If I’m the Big XII then I’m adding BYU and Colorado State. Gives you a school with a huge following and two schools in fast growing areas out west. Seems most practical.

BYU has Baylor issues… Wouldn’t be a great add.

2 Likes

As my grandson would say NOT SO FAST MY FRIENDS! You add Memphis for the money, Fedex support, and proximity to the rest of the conference. You then go after UCF for the performance and TV market. Following those two you look at a a P5 team maybe needing a new life and breath of fresh air like a Wake Forrest or you go more competitive and go NC State who fits the offensive scheme. Once you get 1 P5 you go after a big fish like a Louisville or Boston College or go smaller fish and go Cincy. You have a direct rout to WV while playing powerful teams. Also keeping strong basketball schools in the conference.

3 Likes

Wake Forest would never, ever leave the ACC.

Thanks for the info, hadn’t heard about that . What’s up with the private schools and scandals?

So first off I would say that until some school tries to leave and beats their “grant of rights” agreement in court you will not see any power 5 team move as they all have a GOR in place. Those are a huge deal if upheld and no one is willing to try it because of the legal costs and the massive cost of losing the battle and not having their media rights. That is why there has not been a power 5 team move in a long time. What will be interesting though is when some of those agreements start to get close to expiring. For most conferences that is only 3-5 years away.

Religious entitlement

1 Like

Nobody has mentioned Boise State, probably for good reason. I just always think of them because when the B12 was expansion shopping some fan mouthed off that they’d be a good add in multiple sports, bragging they’d “won a few conference wrestling championships in the P12.” I’m not a contemptuous fan, but that offended me and I went full indignation on behalf of the greatest wrestling program in college history.

1 Like

I am reiterating, but Pittsburgh is the rival team for WVU. It’s really close and they do a bedlam game. My MIL is a Pitt grad.

4 Likes

16 Team Conference with the PAC 12

East Division
OSU
OU
Texas
Texas Tech (or whoever)
Colorado
Zona
ASU
Utah

West
Washington
Wazzu
Oregon St
Oregon
Cal
USC
Stanford
UCLA

Play your whole division plus 2 teams on a rotating basis, meaning OSU would then host USC/Stanford once every 8 years. I think this would be awesome.

1 Like

SEC West:
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas A&M
LSU
Arkansas
Mizzou
Ole Miss
Mississippi State

Move the Alabama schools to the East with their natural rivals (Florida, Tennessee, UGA, etc.)

1 Like

For anyone arguing that OSU should bolt for another confrerence if OU goes then you are delusional. I hate the little brother moniker as much as anyone but the Bedlam series is more than football. Across all sports we own the Bedlam series, So wherever 0U goes… if we want to keep that going… we have to go as well

1 Like

I don’t think you can go west. It just doesn’t work geographically unless you drop West Virginia. I agree on adding Memphis, Cincy, Louisville, etc. Good TV markets, money, and gets us into Big 10 and SEC recruiting grounds. For the same reason I say you can’t go west, I think going all the way to the east coast is too far geographically which means no Florida or NC.

The WV fans I talked to want Maryland . Their BB program would be nice and their FB record against Texas …

2 Likes

If we move to super conferences. I’m all for this, going to the Pac16 would be awful when half our games start at 10pm

1 Like

Your mom’s opinion doesn’t carry any weight here!!! :rage:

/s

UT goes to the Pac12?

1 Like

It does when she’s more familiar with the culture and geography of the teams we’re discussing than most of us are. You can disagree with my picks for hypothetical expansion teams, go ahead. I’m just giving you actual first hand information that I know due to familial relationships.

Don’t angry emoji me. I didn’t argue with you. It’s hypothetical anyway and even if it weren’t…we don’t get to vote. Literally the most benign conversation I’ve ever had someone get upset over.

Dude…see that “/s” at the end of my post? That means it’s sarcasm. I kinda actually agree with you. And I’m sure your MIL is a cool person who seems to know her sports.

LOL…oh internet…

1 Like

The GIF use here is the most important thing of the day. :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like