Chuba Hubbard, CJ Moore Notes

I remember when it was getting close to Signing Day and we had Tylan/Tracin committed…I actually had a brief nightmare about them decommitting and going to A&M. I was all in on them.

2 Likes

I think all of us knew Wallace was a stud coming in…

2 Likes

You mean the same Tylan that was the highest rated receiver to sign since Dez? Good eye there Eddy.

10 Likes

Telling people to @ you when you’re a leader of the hide it from me brigade is legitimately hysterical.

But just so we’re clear… one highly recruited WR turns out to be an immediate stud, another doesn’t… and this validates worshiping recruiting rankings because…?

1 Like

Because in order to win a title you need a top 10/15 class. And the goal is to win a title. You guys will never, ever win the debate that recruiting doesn’t matter in college football.

7 Likes

Here is some stats (everyone loves numbers) to back up your point

3 Likes

I saw CJ Moore in the weight room the 1st day he reported. I was shocked how thin he was …but also, intrigued to see what would happen to him (body-wise) over next 8 mths till the 2019 Spring Game. I was amazed at the transformation. The Spring Game showed he has the ‘skills’ etc …I would be saddened (& very surprised) to see CJ transfer

2 Likes

When it comes to recruiting translating to championships, only emotional arguments are allowed…

2 Likes

All the #'s, actual results (field & recruiting services and Millions $'s pour into the recruiting analysis/coverage over last 15 yrs is all the ‘proof pts’ needed to accept the fact that recruiting ranking matter …I honestly have no idea why the recruiting topic is even discussed/debated anymore …no one invests that much $‘s to get "worse’ or into anything unless ‘it matters’…

and yet here we are having a debate on it yet again. I also don’t think anyone is saying that recruiting in general doesn’t matter by the way. Some are just saying 5 star vs 4 star vs 3 star is kind of a guessing game and rankings may not be exact.

3 Likes

People always bring up this point yet no one ever argues with this.

I need to look up Oregon’s rank for that Auburn win…Cam was a generational player and i would bet Oregon’s class was even lower than a 16

Sorry, I stopped reading when you didn’t close your parentheses. :joy:

2 Likes

Ever.

4 Likes

In my best Andre 3000 voice, “ forever
Forever, forever, ever, forever, ever?”

1 Like

I couldn’t find a good “Never” gif, so I just used this one:

1 Like

I am what some would call a “Gundy apologist” on this thread. But even I would not argue with the fact that we need a series of ~top 15 recruiting classes to win a title (after all, the last of top recruiting classes leading up to 2011 is why we didn’t play in the BCS championship that year… it’s the key portion of the “eye test” ©Mark May, Kirk Herbstreit 2011). My position on the issue is not that it is “not important”. I believe it is brutally tough to break through the inherent blue blood structure of college football and that it is a long-term strategy, not a lack of effort or interest, that drives our current recruiting methods and leads to our recruiting results.

4 Likes

Having good players matter in college football. Recruiting rankings do not matter in college football. It’s amazing to me that people are incapable of making that distinction. The 2 are not perfectly in sync the way a lot you think they are.

And Oregon played for 2 national titles and never had a top 10 recruiting class during that time frame. OSU was a fraction away from playing, and likely winning, it all in 2011 with no classes in the top 20. Competing for national championships is the goal. That is absolutely possible without having top 10 classes. Now, schools like OSU and Oregon aren’t going to do it year in and year out like the Bamas, Clemsons, and Ohio States of the world. But saying, ‘well you can’t compete without a top x recruiting class’ is so stupid it makes my head hurt. There’s a little more to it than that.

2 Likes

That’s the thing.

We don’t have to get a #10 class overnight.

How about we just get into upper 20’s next year? Then lower 20’s next year…then upper 10’s…so on and so forth.

1 Like

That’s just it. We don’t need to go from 40 to 10 immediately. But top-25 should be expected.

1 Like