Clemson is the Model

Yup, all that. Throw in Georgia Tech and App StateX UNC, UNC Charlotte. Bama is 5 hours away (6 on return.) Auburn is maybe 6 at most. USC isn’t awful and Florida has a ton of competitive teams. Florida State, Univ of Florida, South Florida, Central Florida all within like 8 hours max.

1 Like

Clemson stinks. They should not be the model.
/s

Come on. They are not fighting UNC Charlotte and App St. for players. Nor half the other schools you mentioned.

Down with Dabo! Go Coach O!

The model of having 60+ years of being a successful and winning program, yeah everyone should follow that model.

4 Likes

You are right, they are top 4 today. I’m giving you all the schools that are within driving distance. Oklahoma State has several within a 5 hour radius…but Clemson has several SEC juggernauts and also a ton of other P5 or really consistently good smaller programs.

1 Like

This. Clemson not only is having to go against other “big schools”, they’re having to go against other conferences and recruit to a school in a traditional basketball conference. And now Virginia is jumping into the fray.

1 Like

Take a look at the 4 & 5 star offers oSu makes every year. Getting the talent to come to Stillwater is the issue. oSu has had coaches that were better at it than others. Most of those coaches that were good recruiters took jobs elsewhere and recruiting ability wasn’t a priority on replacing those coaches.

You’ve brought up UVA a lot… and they did have a great year… but they haven’t finished better than #7 in ACC recruiting rankings and their average recruiting score is 18 points behind Oklahoma State’s…

I don’t see them making it harder for Clemson to recruit.

Now… Georgia Tech… with the scheme change I think they’re a sleeping giant and could absolutely be very good if the coach can build a good culture and put a good scheme on the field.

Although their recruiting limitations are similar to UVA because they don’t bend their academic standards as much as UGA, Clemson, Bama, etc.

3 Likes

Ooh - is GT moving away from the triple option? I had not heard that.

They should. I’m so sick of teams that think they have to continue to do something because it’s been done for so many years, regardless of the effectiveness/success.

Nebraska was like that when they fired Solich and brought on Callahan, who introduced the “West Coast Offense”, and everyone went insane. If you have the right players, then the type of scheme doesn’t necessarily (keyword) matter.

Army and Navy, same thing.

I get Army and Navy - they have some size implications on the cadets and midshipmen in their program - at least at time of commissioning. So trying to do exactly what everyone else does for them doesn’t really make sense. But Georgia Tech sticking with it for so long while residing right in the middle of “Recruiting, USA” never made sense.

I hate teams that can’t throw the football well. I just do.

I love Army/Navy/Air Force football… It’s all about mismatching and outscheming, similar to actual military prep.

2 Likes

Discipline is also a large part of this.

1 Like

Correct my friend. The largest part.

Well… Ironically they use the tactics that have worked well against the US military over the last 50 years…

2 Likes

The option is a beautiful thing to watch when ran right. Nebraska from the mid 90s through Eric Crouch was a ton of fun.

Also it works really, really well for Navy…

Heck, Army had a chance to beat OU last year because of it.