College Football Blue Blood Analysis - Through 2021 Season (updated with 2022 results in thread)

I hope so. But my study says that’s rare in college football. But it happens - see Georgia Tech, Pittsburgh, Stanford, Minnesota, Cal, Illinois, Purdue, Army, and SMU in the “Smithsonian” category. As for present-day collapses - we’re seeing it for Nebraska. Wonder when or if they will bounce back.

That could easily pass as my heart monitor results during a few games last season

1 Like

Miami hasn’t been national title relevant in a while. That’s another one.

1 Like

Here’s a 10-year Moving Average chart for several of the programs that first hit my list as “Fading Powers”, excluding Notre Dame and Washington, who have righted the ship, so to speak. I also added Miami, due to @travis5266 's comment. I think Miami just missed my cutoff, as they had enough success EARLY in the 2000-2023 era to get points. But you’re right, the trend line definitely shows a decline, but not nearly as steep as Nebraska’s. Nebraska’s is just stunning when looking at the chart. It is also interesting seeing Ole Miss’s strength back in the 1960’s. They were wrong on integration and it cost them. Tennessee’s history is interesting… a long-term roller-coaster ride. Are they on their way back up? We’ll see. Arizona State had success with Frank Kush in the 1970’s, and then not much at all. Michigan State had a peak in the 1950’s and then a recent run with Dantoni… but we can see what’s happening there right now.

When looking at the chart, remember that there were fewer games per season (including bowls) in prior decades. Most of these teams are dropping win total averages even with more games being played today.

1 Like