College Football World Shreds Mike Gundy After Comments on Coronavirus

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/college-football-world-shreds-mike-gundy-after-comments-on-coronavirus/

Gundy got crushed for his stance on football’s potential return.

Yeah, pretty terrible. Sure this will help our already putrid recruiting.

1 Like

“Gundy likens Covid 19 to the flu, a virus which had killed thousands.” Well in America Covid 19 has killed 11,816 people. In 2018 the flu killed 34,200 and in 2019 it’s estimated to have killed between 29,000 and 52,000 people. Don’t slam Gundy for this. So he wants to start football on May 1st like every other sport and business is planning for right now? Oh yeah that’s right, we’re currently only on quarantine through April 30th and everyone is hoping we can start going to work in May again.

3 Likes

This virus will kill much more, the worst is yet to come. But yeah, let’s ignore all the medical experts and scientist and just spout off uninformed nonsense. This looks really bad on him. Oh, and the quarantine and shelter in place will likely be extended in most area, likely until at least June.

1 Like

Fauchi himself is on record as saying the mortality rate is going to be on par with a bad flu season. Maybe some of you should do your research before castigating someone for his opinion.

2 Likes

All time cut and paste job. I know there’s not much material out there. but

1 Like

Gundy isn’t far off. Yes this worse than the flu but most think sometime in May. He is correct that by middle of May we have to get going again unless we want a great depression. Kyle Boone you’re young and trusting. That will change.

3 Likes

Terrible tweet by Boone in my opinion. Here’s how ESPN summarized the conversation. Completely different tone than what the tweet in this post started.

Heather Dinich ESPN Senior Writer

Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy said on Tuesday that his goal is to return to the football building on May 1 because he hopes that tests for the coronavirus will be available in three or four weeks to clear both employees and players.

“How fast that can happen based on the tests that are available, I can’t say right now, but that’s the plan,” Gundy told more than a dozen reporters on a teleconference. “We have to have a plan, and the plan right now is for them to start on May 1. It might get backed up two weeks. I don’t know, I can’t make that call, but if it does, we’ll start with the employees of this company, the ones that come in this building. Then we’ll bring the players in, and slowly but surely we’ll test them all in.”

In what was roughly a 20-minute opening statement, Gundy talked about the national and state response to the coronavirus. COVID-19 has shut down sports across the globe, and college football has set no date to return to practice. Gundy, who has been working remotely from his home and spending time on his farm, said that if somebody were to test positive after returning to work, that person would be quarantined “just like we do people that get the flu.”

“We get people that get the flu during the season, we quarantine them, we treat them, we make sure they’re healthy, we bring 'em back,” Gundy said. “It would be the same thing here, but at some point, we’ve got to go back to work. We’ve got to get these guys back in here. … From what I read, the healthy people can fight this, the antibodies make it better. They’re doing some blood transplants now with the people that have already gotten the disease, that have gotten over it that have the antibodies that can fight it. There’s a lot of people who can figure this out. May 1’s our goal. Don’t know if it will happen. Players will come in after that.”

Gundy said there could be people who work in the football building who are older or “maybe have some type of underlying condition.”

“Maybe they don’t come back,” he said, "but the majority of people in this building who are healthy … and certainly the 18-, 19-, 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds that are healthy, the so-called medical people saying the herd of healthy people that have the antibodies may be built up and can fight this? We all need to go back to work.

“I’m not taking away from the danger of people getting sick,” he said. “You have the virus, stay healthy, try to do what we can to help people that are sick. And we’re losing lives, which is just terrible. The second part of it is that we still have to schedule and continue to move forward as life goes on and help those people.”

5 Likes

USA TODAY: Opinion: Mike Gundy’s latest ridiculous comments out of touch with reality of coronavirus.

I’m with Gundy here. THis is actually affecting people under 60 far less than the flu and hasn’t killed anyone without serious underlying conditions. May 1st is also a month away. If everyone isn’t back to work by then the economy (outside of college football) is toast. It might be toast already.

We disagree on high blood pressure being a serious underlying condition.

Jesse & Kyle,
You really believe Gundy has not talked to experts about what he needs to plan for in the next few months? I doubt a CEO, being paid millions of dollars to lead a program gets his information from the television media. Jesse I’ll wager the shelter in place is over by the first of May except in hotspot areas. Gundy did a poor job of communicating but I really don’t believe he has any intentions of putting his players at risk for getting Covid19.
Quarantine and isolation was not an option initially in the US because we botched the testing and our treatment and diagnostic capabilities were extremely inadequate. The US was not alone in their unpreparedness but we should have and could have done much better.

Yes, he obviously is going against most expert opinions. This isn’t even debatable. I will wager the experts know more than you. I love how everyone on the internet knows more than the experts. Gundy screwed up, the University has tried to put out the fire. Hopefully no harm is done.

He’s literally a month ahead of the Big 12. So whatever experts he’s talking to, they aren’t smart enough to read press releases from his governing body.

CDC guidelines go until the end of April. Nothing wrong with him being optimistic. Unfortunately you sports reporters have nothing else to do but cause drama over someone’s opinion. Goes hand in hand with Leach’s tweet. People are getting laid off day by day and I hate when the media can’t be somewhat optimistic about the future. Letting people see some light at the end of the tunnel. If we don’t allow for that light this situation could get much worse.

2 Likes

And I was expecting to see all the head coaches across America bashing Gundy. Nothing… all a bunch of hacks wanting a headline in their tweet saying what a bad man Gundy is…
And they do get paid, a 100k college education, but I’m sure you want more … very few high school students get the opportunity to get a free education… Jemele Hill ??? Is she even relevant anymore …and last one was he was racist !!!

1 Like

How much do you want to wager that I know what I’m talking about, Jesse? Gundy realizes it isn’t his decision. Read the quote, he said they are planning for it May first but it might not happen.

The Big 12 almost definitely isn’t changing their guidelines, so it definitely isn’t happening.

Almost definitely, so you’re telling me there is a chance?

Hang on to that reed.