Conference Realignment Chatter

With the news that the Big12 told ESPN to cease and desist likely put a big ole damper on the other conferences discussing expansion. Notice how he was careful to say they are not contacting schools or attempting to poach schools but they will and have talked to the schools that contact them. It’s likely to stay on the downlow for awhile.

2 Likes

19 Likes

It would replace the money lost from bedlam. IF that happened, I don’t want a hear a single person say “waaa, we’re losing money but not giving Ou a free gimme win every year.” Anymore.

@Dribble in the other thread you said that there are bigger brands in the ACC like UNC, VA, and Duke compared to the PAC. This is true but that won’t stop them from being raided. The PAC is less likely to get raided since it’s so isolated, compared to the ACC. The only reason it was talked about earlier was because the PAC’s GOR is up sooner than the ACC’s.

BIG and SEC are the two conferences to get in if an opportunity presents itself, but BIG’s stuck up academics won’t happen and atm the SEC seems set at 16, unless this alliance thing makes the SEC decide to expand now instead of waiting for the ACC’s GOR to expire.

Not bigger brand but really powerful schools that wouldn’t lose out to someone without a pretty significant fight. I don’t think the ACC is going anywhere. People thought this in the 80’s then they added FSU and made college basketball huge at the same time.

Anyone think Kliavkoff’s comments recently are a good sign, compared to a month ago?

1 Month ago - “I consider the Pac-12 an exclusive club with a high barrier to entry,” Kliavkoff said. “We love the schools and teams we have today. We’re not actively seeking to poach any teams from any conference, but we’d be foolish not to listen if schools call us.”

Today- “There’s no hard deadline related to any of this,” he said, “but I would say I don’t think it’s good for college athletics given the vibration that’s going on as a result of the Texas and Oklahoma news. The quicker we can dampen that vibration, the better. We will have a decision on whether we intend to expand or not in the next couple of weeks.”

Maybe I’m just hopelessly optimistic, but the Pac picking up 2-4 teams feels like a necessity if they’re trying to compare themselves to the B10 & ACC.

4 Likes

If I’m the PAC12 then I’m adding BYU, Oklahoma State, Kansas, and Texas Tech.

Put the original PAC8 together in the Coastal division then put the new schools, Colorado, Utah, and the Arizona schools in Continental division.

That gives me a national fanbase, DFW, West Texas, OKC, Tulsa, Wichita, Kansas City, and a blue blood basketball program.

3 Likes

Won’t happen tho. They won’t take a religious institution.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s why it’ll be KSU I bet.

Shoot they’d add San Diego state before they added KSU

3 Likes

KSU is the most valuable team left per those WSJ rankings we all looked at.

Yeah…… but they’re KSU

I don’t see how K State is very attractive. They do bring a reasonably good football program, a few nice stadium renovations etc., but generally nothing special and middle of the pack in terms of tv ratings. They don’t bring Texas into the equation, and have probably the worst overall athletic department of the 8.

I didn’t see the WSJ article, what was the criteria?

2 Likes

It’s from 2018. Still relevant with how the last 18 months have gone to an extent.

It’s based on revenue. One thing to consider about that revenue though is that it’s going to drop due to the loss of Big XII money at some point. The reason we are probably ahead of most PAC schools is due to TV contracts the Big XII had, once we move revenue will drop by at least several million I would assume.

1 Like

PAC 16 makes sense. If they pick up Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Kansas, and KState/Boise/?, that gives you an eastern region of AZ, AZ St, CO, Utah, OSU, TT, Kansas, KState/?

Very winnable for OSU in football and a pretty good basketball conference.

I’ve seen chatter about BYU, but I don’t think we’ll see any religous schools in the mix, so that excludes BYU, Baylor, TCU. If you were going purely based on wins, I assume you would take Baylor before BYU.

Hopefully not less with the value CT zone brings to the Pac12 schedule (and restructured rights contract). At least that’s the thought. And of the CT zone teams available, we bring the most viewers (broken record statement I know).

This is important to me.

I don’t think athletic revenue has much to do with value to a conference directly though. It’s generally a macro symbol of the power of your brand, but in an indirect fashion. Same as average home game attendance. It’s great, but doesn’t directly drive more money for the conference. I still don’t believe teh value WSJ provided is an apples to apples comparison.

Value from conference alignment has most to do with TV viewership (prob 80%+ of discussion), location, athletic success, and all the other factors (academics, politics, etc)

I keep seeing this thrown out there, but I have a hard time seeing the Pac 12 putting USC, UCLA, Washington, and Oregon all in the same division. Maybe they would, but seems like they would want to protect their perceived top 4 teams and give the opportunity for more than just 1 of those schools to make the championship game.

1 Like