Corona / Politics / Current Events Thread

I mean, I get it. I get being scared and wanting to protect yourself and others. It’s not an unreasonable reaction to things. Hell, I won’t lie and say I’m not nervous at all about going to Vegas. I’d be stupid to not be. I just think that when that line between ‘taking reasonable precautions’ and ‘completely lock down all of life’ gets crossed, it’s going too far. We’re not dealing with zombies here, where you need to shoot your neighbor for stepping over the property line (or just because you hate him or her and you have an excuse). Now, there definitely need to be protective measures in place for sure, but living in fear and becoming a country of Bubble People just…I don’t see it as being helpful, that’s all.

4 Likes

I spent 2 minutes looking for a picture of the Seifeld ‘bubble boy’ to post here…only to remember we never actually see him.

Carry on.

4 Likes

You could have gone with the Jake Gyllenhaal movie. For shame.

3 Likes

I’m with you Rook. I work in healthcare sales and this is both a boon and a bother.

Does anyone remember h1n1 from 2009? There were believed to be 500,000 deaths directly attributed to that pandemic. This isn’t that. Most people are recovering without any medical intervention. Do we take any new virus seriously? Of course we do. Is this freak out worthy? In my opinion (solely my opinion) no it’s not.

2 Likes

This may be the most agreeable thread we’ve had in some time.

“I think we should be reasonable in our precautions without being overly reactive”

“I agree using different words”

“I agree with your agreement, but with these words”

“This is my agreement to the above agreements, but here some different words”

6 Likes

Osu is going to run the Big 12 tournament… make the dance… and then March Madness will be canceled.

1 Like

I’m not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Because if it sneezes, I could get the coronavirus.

In all seriousness, I like that this thread exists in that form. It shows that, by and large, we’re a reasonable community who just disagree on stuff.

3 Likes

Since a lot of stores are selling out of hand sanitizers, I went on eBay last night just to see if anybody was taking advantage of the panic buying. Sure enough, small bottles of hand sanitizer that you could’ve bought at WalMart a month ago for probably $1.49 are going for like $25. That’s when I knew for sure things were getting a little overboard. Not to downplay the whole thing, but please.

2 Likes

That is one of the ironic twists here. Everyone says to wash your hands frequently and to use hand sanitizer. What hand sanitizer? Even normal disinfecting wipes you use in the kitchen are not available.

1 Like

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Let’s take a look at the numbers… dated February 29th

1 Like

Not always as handy as hand sanitizers or the wipes, but you can still get all the Ivory soap you want. Supposedly, it’s just as effective, if not more so.

2 Likes

Wash in everclear or 151

2 Likes

Being that I’ll be in Vegas next week, I will probably be good to go in terms of washing my insides with alcohol.

8 Likes

So I work in the alcohol industry and we literally are having to tell people they can’t sell product with claims that it will kill the corona. :joy:

9 Likes

I’m gonna try it anyway. If it works, bonus, If it doesn’t, I’m still drunk. I cannot lose.

5 Likes

Have a trip planned to Playa del Carmen next month. I’m going unless a higher travel advisory is issued for Mexico.

2 Likes

This is a month old now but still…

Did pangolins spread the China coronavirus to people?

Genetic sequences of viruses isolated from the scaly animals are 99% similar to that of the circulating virus — but the work is yet to be formally published.

It’s some kind of Asian Armadillo. It’s a delicacy that is consumed raw.

1 Like

These are the problems I see:

We aren’t able to test people, because the CDC continues to lie about how many tests are available, and also about the number of people who have tested positive/been tested.

Children and old people are more susceptible to actually being affected by it. The problem is that the people who are not going to be affected by it don’t necessarily know if they have it. The early symptoms are similar to other viruses/diseases (this goes back to the point about people not being able to get tested).

So someone might have a fever…and it’s just a stupid fever! OR…they could have COVID but not know it. This is the issue. I’m sure many people will get it, and generally not be affected by it. But who are they passing it to, unknowingly? That’s also the issue.

3 Likes

They’re illegally trafficked, so maybe…

I actually know someone from SE OK that would eat squirrel brains and eggs. Not sure why I just thought of that. Oh well…

1 Like