Cowboy Football 2021 Season

I believe oddsshark does. I’m not big into betting, but I feel like I’ve gone there before to look at lines foe old games.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m trying to see if Gundy has won more games as an underdog or lost more games as a favorite.

1 Like

I’d bet up to around 2015 he probably won more as an underdog. Since then, lost more as a favorite.

2 Likes

You do know the mascot’s name is Boomer, right?

:laughing:

1 Like

We shall see. I’ll report back with the findings

Does anyone know how to upload an excel file here? I finished making the spreadsheet but I want people to be able to look at the actual data if they want to.

I was able to find spreads for all our games back to 2007 here.

To do this I gave Gundy a +1 every time he won as an underdog and -1 every time he lost as a favorite. Wins as the favorite and losses as an underdog were both worth 0.

Gundy was remarkably consistent with winning as a favorite and losing as an underdog. From 2007 to 2011 he only lost one more game as a favorite than he lost as an underdog.

He won no games as an underdog and lost two as a favorite in 2012, and won one game as an underdog and lost three as a favorite in 2013. That brought the total difference down to -5.

Gundy didn’t lose as a favorite and won two games as the dog in 2014 and 2015. In 2016 he only “lost” one game as the favorite and won four games as an underdog. That brought the total up to +2.

The wheels came off in 2017. We were favored in every game we played and lost three. Down to -1

2018 was absolutely nuts compared to how consistent Mike usually is at winning as the favorite and losing when he isn’t. In 2018 we lost five games as the favorite and won four as an underdog. (And we were one two point conversion away from it being five). The total is now down to -2.

In 2019 we won once as an underdog and lost twice as a favorite, and in 2020 we lost twice as the favorite and did not win a game as an underdog. So in total, Mike has lost 5 more games as a favorite than he has won as an underdog since 2007.

If anything, this could honestly be skewed because of just how many games were are picked to win nowadays so Mike does have more chances to lose games he should win, but it still kind of feels bad

6 Likes

The most hysterical thing to me is that Dave’s survey every year before the season starts (if I am remembering the results correctly), OSU fans are generally pretty reserved in expectations and fairly realistic. Then we get halfway through the season and everyone hops aboard the hype train only to get crushed on the tracks in the end. It’s a vicious cycle that I oddly love in retrospect. Keeps us coming back every year.

14 Likes

We could be twins. Aside from the fact we’re probably 20 years apart. Haha! We seem to have an identical mindset on Ok St football and more specifically, Bedlam. We’re not winning again until Gundy retires. Period. 2013 nearly broke me. 2017 finished it off.

3 Likes

I can’t believe every year how many people think we are going to beat OU. It’s in the 40’s percentages sometimes. Crazy

Great work! There also seems to be a thing of losing at home and winning on the road, I’m curious if that would be related to the favorite/underdog narrative.

2 Likes

I’m out of town this weekend but when I get back I can check!

1 Like

Koolaid starts with a K

5 Likes

You willing to put money on that?

1 Like

Anyone know when the pro day is?

History also says after Gundy we probably aren’t winning Bedlam too.

1 Like

Think it’s April 1st

1 Like

I just saw this and thought it was interesting. West Virginia just lost their highest rated recruit from the 2020 class: 4* DB David Vincent-Okoli. WV has been hemorrhaging players since last year. Here is an excerpt from an article on the Okoli loss.

Wonder how long Brown can stick around if players keep jumping ship like this.

1 Like

I think it’s a big rebuild. Brown is going to ask a lot of his players, commitment levels across the board. Which is why they probably will end up having success, if they’re given enough time to build by WVU.

Heck, I’ll put a beer on it.

1 Like