Daily Bullets (Dec. 20): Necessary Football Recruiting Point, A Wonderful Shane Illingworth Comparison

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/daily-bullets-dec-20-necessary-football-recruiting-point-a-wonderful-shane-illingworth-comparison/

I’ve been looking forward to this Christmas break off like OSU is looking for a running back commitment. Bullets Rundown • Recruiting declines in Stillwater • Illingworth = (great OSU QB of the past) • Line classes stacked up OSU Bullets • It’s not fun to chew on but Signing Day hasn’t been the most exciting time for Cowboy Football fans. Never once has OSU been higher than fourth in the Big 12. Never once has OSU finished in the top 25 since it last won a conference championship. Never during that span has OSU won a conference championship. And therein lies the problem. Oklahoma State appears content with pulling in middling talent, trying to win 8-10 games, hoping its under-the-radar talent will outperform expectations. It’s all stagnated. Signing day graphics are the same. Recruiting philosophy is the same. Nothing has been tweaked to try and improve recruiting and get more talent on campus. [PFB] As an OSU fan, it was a thrill to think about how winning all of these games should, could, or hopefully would lead to OSU landing better and better talent as their profile increased. I think that’s the perplexing thing: OSU hasn’t recruited better talent…

I posted this on the original article - Boone’s take on recruiting - but I thought I’d vainly re-post here since I got on that one pretty late…:wink:

Boone, I usually have your back and agree with, or at least understand, most of your takes. But, this doesn’t make any sense:
“Oklahoma State appears content with pulling in middling talent, trying to win 8-10 games, hoping its under-the-radar talent will outperform expectations.”
That’s nonsense! They’re “content”?! That makes it sound like they’re not trying for recruits. You realize we can’t just make guys sign with us. The whole “oSu FB is content to be mediocre” narrative is old. I’m surrounded by fanbases way outside of OK and they’re very envious of what Gundy’s created - and continues to sustain. Maybe some of our fans are just too close to the situation…