Daily Bullets (Dec. 23): Mike Yurcich to Austin?

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/daily-bullets-dec-23-mike-yurcich-to-austin/

I’d love to see Chuba come out in a pair of these on Friday. Bullets Rundown • Yurcich the top candidate to call plays in Austin • Mason Rudolph got another shot in Pittsburgh yesterday • A receivers coach candidate OSU Bullets • Mike Yurcich is the leading candidate to be the next offensive coordinator in Austin. Yurcich is making $950,000 this year at Ohio State, according to USA Today‘s database. That makes him the 31st-highest paid assistant in the country. Texas could definitely top that, as Orlando (the fired defensive coordinator) made $1.7 million this year, making him the sixth-highest paid assistant in the country. [PFB] Beating $950k is a tough task but Texas apparently has deep enough pockets. My question is why would Yurcich take the job? It’s easy to recruit to Austin but he’s an Ohio boy near his family and he’s at very minimal risk of being fired – he’s not even calling plays. Tom Herman could be on the outs in Austin at the end of next year if this doesn’t go well, it doesn’t seem likely Yurcich ends up taking the job. • Mason Rudolph saw the field again yesterday after the starter laid…

Please DO hire Yurcich, UT!

Rudolph played great and was on the verge of winning his job back permanently. Steelers just aren’t playing very well on defense or the O-line. I didn’t care for how Tomlin benched him for the Browns game, the play calling was trash (run twice, 3rd and long what are we going to do, defense?), the O-line was getting beat almost every pass play but then again when you’re THAT predictable of course the opposing defense is going to bring pressure, and finally he knew Rudolph wanted to play after the fight.

A lot of chatter saying that Arroyo is trying to poach Joe Bob away as the unlv DC now. Rutgers has expressed interest in Gleeson as OC also but not sure if the interest in reciprocated. In any case, it looks like it could be an interesting off season.

I actually wanted Joe Bob as D-coordinator before Gumby hired Knowles. I don’t think Knowles is aggressive enough.