Daily Bullets (Jan. 18): 3-2-1, Football Carrying Optimism

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/daily-bullets-jan-18-3-2-1-football-carrying-optimism/

Yo – I’m trying a little different format for today, mimicking a newsletter/format I read weekly. Feedback in the comments is great Bullets Rundown • Gundy is great and limiting • Portal is for four-stars • First-Win February Scores • Wrestling: Pokes 37, West Virginia 9 • Men’s Tennis: Pokes 7, Lamar 0 -> Pokes 7, Bryant 0 Three OSU Ideas • Here are two truths about Oklahoma State Football that collide with each other but are true regardless: – Mike Gundy is a program-builder capable of taking a tired brand to be a consistent winner (and is worth every dime of $5m as a result). – Mike Gundy’s recruiting methodology prevents OSU from being in the College Football Playoff. • A commenter had a solid take today on the site – what if OSU made recruiting four-stars via the portal a priority? Hearing that Levi Draper (former Cowboy commit) is leaving OU was interesting – would his decommitment from the Pokes be a deal-killer? Budgeting spots for talented transfers is surely in place but planning on taking some calculated risks there is a great idea. Jeremiah 29:11 pic.twitter.com/d8Q84YdzBk — Levi Draper (@ladraper_6) January 17, 2020 • I’m not a…

Nothing is going to change and for the most part no one wants it to. Most of the people on here are not happy but fine with 5th thru 3rd in the conference.

1 Like

‘Gundy’s recruiting methodology prevents OSU from being in the College Football Playoff.’

This is played out, he just won two recruiting battles against the NFL, not blue bloods, but those blue faces

1 Like

He didn’t win anything. Both Wallace and Hubbard could read the tea leaves regarding their immediate future in the NFL. Their wisdom, not Gundy’s recruiting prowess brought them back for another year.

1 Like

I don’t get this logic “Mike Gundy is a program-builder capable of taking a tired brand to be a consistent winner (and is worth every dime of $5m as a result).” I get that he turned OSU around…or continued what Les started. But at what point is OSU not a tired brand ( I’d say now) and if it’s not a tired brand than he is not worth the 5 mil. He was worth the 5 mil the first 10 years, these last 5 have been a steady decline

1 Like

It would help a bit to cut his hair…just saying.

I believe mike grungy can’t get out of his own way. He is stuck in his style of play and he is no longer evolving the offense “Les Miles” I believe he made a good defensive coach pick but time will tell. He has been here to long and the program is stagnant. I’m ready for change🤷‍♂️.