Daily Bullets (Mar. 25): Evaluating Boynton After Year Three, Bigger Loss: Tourney Run or Baseball?

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/daily-bullets-mar-25-evaluating-boynton-after-year-three-bigger-loss-tourney-run-or-baseball/

Loved this definition for “social distancing“. Social Distancing pic.twitter.com/EhflVQQWrd — OK State Probs (@OKStateProbs) March 24, 2020 Bullets Rundown • Boynton after year-three • Biggest OSU-loss because of the virus (so far) • Boynton pod + Cade talk OSU Bullets • What’s your conclusion on Coach Mike Boynton at this point? We’ve arrived at the magic three-year number. On National Signing Day for football athletes, while fans clamor to check recruiting rankings, a reasonable person might say, “Wait three years. After that, you’ll know what you have.” The “wait three years” approach really doesn’t work with the 38-year-old Boynton. I think he’s pretty good, and he was more than just pretty good while pulling OSU from a terrible January slump, but it’s currently impossible to know absolutely that Boynton is destined for a truly successful run in Stillwater. [TulsaWorld] Assessing the first three years is tough – no tourney, roster attrition each year, stagnant spells and losing streaks. But his teams play hard, he’s incredibly likeable – a great culture fit, he’s recruiting well, and he’s just now 38. Two more years will give a more comprehensive picture and seems to make the most sense. • You could argue this…

“Two more years will give a more comprehensive picture and seems to make the most sense.”

2 more?!? That’s how you end up with a Travis Ford situation. I mean, I get that the contract isn’t the same, but 5 years to find out if he’s a good coach or not?

Let’s define what we’re looking for here. My bar would be set at First Round Bye in the BigXII Tourney, NCAA Bid, Top 3-4 in the conference EVERY year. Packed GIA EVERY game. That’s what Eddie did. That’s what should be the goal.

Forget year one, it was obviously the outlier so far. Coach B is 30-34 in the last 2 seasons. Anyone think Cade shows up and suddenly this is a First Round Bye in the BigXII Tourney, NCAA Bid, Top 3-4 in the conference EVERY year kind of program all the sudden? Just like what that Trae Young did for the program in Norman? Oh wait…

One conference title in 15 years should be good enough.