Davonte Davis Decommits

I’m going to give a little anecdote that is somewhat comparable…

I follow the University of Memphis because my wife is an alum, got her PhD there (and Bachelors and Masters, but those are boring). :grinning:

Anyway, I follow their basketball team and recruiting pretty closely, because Penny Hardaway and Coach B have actually been competing for some recruits here and there. It’s quite entertaining.

You might remember the name Antwann Jones, you might not. He was almost committed to OSU last season, before Penny moved in and secured him. Just after this last season ended, he decided to transfer, ended up going to Creighton. He is a great player (or has great potential, I should say). The thing is, the 2019-2020 recruiting class has at least two guys who were going to take playing time from him, because they project to be better. He knew that, and that’s why he made the transfer decision. That COULD be what is happening here.

1 Like

My theory is that we are going to get a package deal that has to include Mike Miles, and that is why Davis de-committed.

Antwann Jones DID commit to OSU… and then he committed to A&M before he committed to Memphis

1 Like

It is like Mr. Pickens said, "If you’re going to hunt elephants, don’t get off the trail for a rabbit.”

@Helper

1 Like

Huh? The guy signed multiple McDonald’s All Americans.

Boynton has signed zero.

If this isn’t the best example of “counting your chickens before they hatch” idk what is.

Well, Bud. Getting a guy on campus and him getting beat out is different than going after other guys in the same class and basically asking a guy to move on. Which is what seems like happened. Look. If Boyton gets all these guys then great. It paid off and nobody cares how it looks. IF he doesn’t tho. Well… That could rip down all the momentum that is/was building. All I’m saying is I don’t care for losing a guy of Davis’s talent for guys that MAY or MAY NOT come. It’s not like Davis was a scrub. Dude is a top 80 player in the country. Idc who you are, losing that and possibly getting nothing can set your program back big time.

Don’t think I’d consider a top 80 player in the country a “rabbit”. I understand the logic tho. You also can look very foolish spending all your time going after an elephant and coming back with nothing. Might even end up starving…

I agree with you 100% @Helper. But don’t you think Boynton feels the same way? Do you honestly think he would cut a talented kid lose without knowing what exactly is going to happen and who would be taking his place?

2 Likes

Give me more to count.

2 Likes

Preach!

Oh, believe me, I have said from the get-go that we put Davis on the “afterburner”, so to speak.

He committed, and there wasn’t this big “hurrah! awesome, we got Davis” moment. It was “ho hum now let’s continue to get Cunningham” thing.

I said last week that we needed to show Davis some love for being our first commit, because it didn’t seem to be given to him. And now, here we are.

Yeah, and guess what? We had no size and teams exposed it when it mattered most.