Doug Gottlieb Thread

Why didn’t Doug go out and get any collegiate coaching experience if he was really serious about the job? He had 7 years to prove that he could take the helm and he never did anything with it.

3 Likes

Found a rock today. He could be the shooting assistant to Doug. Both have zero P5 experience should work out well.

3 Likes

Hey if that rock is as passionate about OSU hoops as Doug…

1 Like

I think most of us are in agreement that it’s not THAT attractive of a job. Historically a 25-35 ranked program, probably a limited NIL opportunity, a “football school,” loaded conference, won’t break the bank on the pay, and Stillwater is not for everyone.

2 Likes

Agreed. I think that’s why it’s important to really get the right fit for who we are and Stillwater…not just a quality coach. Travis Ford never felt like he was a Stillwater/OSU guy. Underwood acted like he was but bolted as soon as he could. Boynton embraced it all well. Stillwater isn’t gonna be for everyone and the coach probably will have to do more with less :moneybag: to play with.

1 Like

Everyone is a basketball school until they become a football school.

You bring up a great point: What happens if Kansas keeps it going with Leopold?

The difference is Doug never wanted to coach at other schools. He ONLY wants to coach at Oklahoma State. That can be seen as a negative from lack of experience but also a positive in terms of passion, retainability, willingness to go all in on NIL, etc. I honestly don’t see Doug being any greater of a risk than a mid-major assistant coach. Again, a very short term contract on the cheap relatively speaking just to see if Doug can ignite the fanbase, alums, and get NIL going. I just don’t have faith that this OSU job is “big enough” or enticing enough for us to attract and afford the slam dunk coach everyone would like to have. If you are going to take a risk anyway, there are some pros of Doug. Again, Doug is not my first choice, but I’m certainly not writing him off like 95% of the PFB community.

5 Likes

I wonder what would happen if the first few interviews with potential head coaches go poorly. At one point would Oklahoma State say “screw it, let’s just hire Doug and see what happens.”

1 Like

long line of coaches ready for the football team when Gundy retires

all passionate with no experience because they didn’t want to take any other jobs, we are so lucky to have options other schools don’t

6 Likes

Still posting on the Doug thread! Love it :grin:

This is exactly what I’m putting my hopes in. So many candidates tell Chad “no thanks” and he literally has no choice but to say “fk it, we’re going with Doug.”

Preach it! I don’t see it as much higher risk either. It can be a crapshoot with mid major coaches bumping up to a bigger program…and especially the fit in Stillwater. If Doug surrounded himself with the right assistants I’d be even more open to the idea. Just look at Ted Lasso :joy:
In my opinion the potential outweighs the risk with Doug…if it worked it would be what everyone wants…someone who loves OSU, wants to be here and doesn’t want another job.

1 Like

If Doug played basketball at any other school in the nation but had the exact same resume as he does now otherwise, 100% of our fanbase would think it’s comical that he was gunning for the job.

His little “alum” name tag qualifies him.

2 Likes

Not a good example. Penny Hardaway had basically no coaching experience but he wanted the Memphis job badly…and got it. It matters that they are alums who are passionate about their schools.

1 Like

If he played for any other school, he probably wouldn’t care that this job is open. Or even notice. It goes both ways. I’ll get the alum stats in a bit.

2 Likes

IF Doug wanted to coach anywhere else, it would be crazy. That’s the point. It works potentially because he ONLY wants to coach at OSU. Besides, you are not descriptive enough here with the alum only being his only qualification. Doug is an alum who excelled as a player under Eddie Sutton, was mentored by Eddie even after he quit playing, he has a family lineage in coaching (he’s been around it his entire life), he’s been around nationally in college basketball and would likely bring in some awesome assistants, he has some very nominal coaching experience and consulting experience. But most importantly - we all agree the ability to re-ignite the fanbase and bring in NIL is critical. Very few other candidates with experience at mid-major level will passionately and immediately do that like Doug could even if those other candidates may be better or at least more experienced at X’s and O’s.

1 Like

Eddie-368 wins
John Smith-468 wins
Gundy-166 wins
Holder-25 conference titles and 8 Natty’s.

Hiring an alum usually works for OSU.

3 Likes

@cowgirl4life you’re on fire today! I’m ready to get Doug in for an interview :grin:

2 Likes

Yeah, sadly, this is probably all hypothetical. Again, I don’t think Chad paid 1.5 million extra to dump MB before April 1 only to hire Doug. It only happens if the other legitimately better/experienced candidates turn us down or we are outbid by other schools.

1 Like