Doug Gottlieb Thread

it is all yours go for it

Easy Button That Was Easy GIF - Easy Button That Was Easy Red Button - Discover & Share GIFs

4 Likes

Thank you, sir! He’s not getting hired, but I wish he would. I’m not sure Chad would do it unless he has no choice.

2 Likes

Not sure if you noticed the comments in the Coach Search thread between all the whining about Doug being brought up - but it is interesting that Tramel and Carlson both have him rated so high on the list if he truly is out of the running. If he’s out 100% out of the running, I can’t imagine them doing that. But I also don’t think Chad blew 1.5 million before April 1 just to hire Doug.

I don’t think Doug would be worse than some of the mid-major coaches floating around. Heck, the Devries dude was an assistant at Drake for like 10 years and applied 3 times for the job before he was given the Head Coach job there. :woman_shrugging:

I’m mostly just fanning flames when it comes to Doug. I still think Bryce Drew would be safer. But I’d be fine if Doug were hired on a very short term contract and gave it a go. I think his support from alums alone and his tutelage under Eddie makes him at least a good option.

:steam_locomotive: :steam_locomotive: :steam_locomotive:

1 Like

where does this lovely nugget of info come from?

2 Likes

lmaoooooo

3 Likes

Hard pass.

1 Like

Why are the anti-Douglers reading this thread. I thought @BgodtheGoat made this thread to NOT read about Doug, LMAO.

Ok, my old timer memory was slightly off but the point is the same. Devries applied 3 times to be the Drake Head Coach during that approximate 10 year span while he was at Creighton. Drake turned him down twice but finally hired him on the third time in 2018. This is the article that talks about it:

3 Likes

2 Likes

you arent talking about doug lol

and he was there 17 years not 10

Yes, but Devries was only applying for the Drake head coach job during a 10-year span according to that article anyway (2008-2018).

1 Like

I’m with ya. I never even said I would for sure hire Doug and everyone freaks out lol. But I’d at least bring him in if I were Weirberg and listen to what he has to say…hear his pitch. His passion for OSU hoops and being a part of when it was special here matters. Maybe he’d dominate NIL, bring in great assistants and be amazing…or maybe not. But I’d be very open to like a 1-2 year deal and just see what happens.

1 Like

I hope I’m wrong, but OSU may not be as attractive as we think it is. Paying a competitive NIL fund and giving a new coach a 5 + year contract is a large amount. I’d be willing to let Doug have a couple of years at half of the pay that will be required to attract a coach that may or may not be successful.

1 Like

Idk how attractive you think OSU basketball is, but my bar is set pretty low.

Doug seems to want the job so bad he would probably take it for almost no money…and then just use the rest for NIL :moneybag:

4 Likes

Doug sucks

1 Like

Just can’t help yourself lol. I love the anti-Dougers! I hope more come over and join the convo :grin:

1 Like

Probably a great reason to hire him.

Amish guy learning what thumbs down means.

So I am in the camp that I think Doug would be successful. I think he’d coach well and his connections would be extremely valuable. With that said I fully understand the camp that doesn’t wanna go that route.

Lastly, just my opinion, but I like the Drake coach, but beyond him I’d prefer Gottlieb.

Also, another nugget I found interesting is Doug mentioned almost joining the staff as an assistant this past season. I’m surprise he didn’t. He either helps get things back on track or knows Boynton is gone in 1-2 years and has that time to ingratiate himself and get that coaching experience many want him to have.

3 Likes

That would have been interesting if he had come on as an assistant. I still doubt he’d get considered for the gig now, but who knows. I still think Doug needs to just go to Chad and say he’ll take a 2 year deal for $400,000 per year and just put the rest towards NIL.

1 Like