Five Thoughts on Oklahoma State's 77-71 Loss to Xavier

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/five-thoughts-on-oklahoma-states-77-71-loss-to-xavier/

The Pokes fall to 6-3 on the season.

Less than impressive start to the year. Too much talent to have lost 3 games already.

We don’t have anyone who wants to or can penetrate a zone and distribute the ball. Just content to pass it around the perimeter and finally jack up a three. Everyone will zone us to death until our coach actually comes up with another plan. If he can.

4 Likes

Postseason ban may be irrelevant. Without some changes this isn’t a postseason caliber team. I literally cringe when OSU basketball is in the half court offense. Defense is not elite, offense is below average.

1 Like

The help defense is slow and puts them out of position. If the other team misses that puts them out of position to rebound.
That offense looks like a pick up game. No offense.
These guys can’t hit open 3’s.
They started( at the end of the game ) to do a high low.
Why is boone not starting. We got to have him out their. With one of the other big guys. At some point he has to set Thompson.

Get the walkons out there. Some body has to be able to hit an open 3.

1 Like

Until they there able to effectively attack zone defenses they are going to struggle mightily. I’m dreading conference play.

1 Like

Likekele needs to find some identity on offense. Also who is this teams leader? I think it should be Likekele but is he leading? Players only meeting might be needed. Something. This team needs a kick in the pants.

Free throw shooting and 3 point shooting is horrific. Half court offense is horrific.

2 Likes

I sensed no energy in this game. Small crowd, understandable after the football loss. This does not look like a good team even though there is talent. Not much of a chance to win if you cannot shoot a three. Transfer portal needed for next season. Forget this season. I had to force myself to continue watching the game during the second half. Can Boynton Google how to beat the zone?

2 Likes

Free throws, three point shooting and defense is horrible. Horrendous!! How the hell do you have the shooters we are supposed to have and shoot like this. Boynton needs to find a couple of zone busters He claims defense is his forte , well something isn’t clicking

2 Likes

This is what I have said before. If u just play street ball, u have no team identity. His offense is who every wants to drive it to the hoop or shot the 3. I only so a pass down low twice that was in the last 2 minutes. A lil late to start playing offense.

2 Likes

At some point…you have to start questioning can “B” coach?

2 Likes

That would be a valid question. Turnovers were an issue last year and they continue to be with this team. Correcting sloppy play is a responsibility that rests with the coaching staff. I know MB wants to fill GIA, but that will be hard to do when it’s been frustrating to watch some of these games.

2 Likes

Because I know Coach Boynton scours PFB looking for suggestions, here’s one:

When faced with the zone, go with a line-up of Anderson, Newton, Thompson, Ke Boone and Ka Boone. Perimeter shooting is the best way to loosen the zone. Next best is to drive and get fouled.

We have some players that can drive and get fouled; unfortunately, they’re poor FT shooters.

3 Likes

Lol
Yea it doesn’t matter.
On every 3 trips
If u shot the 3 and make one u scored 3 points
If u drive and shoot 50% at the line 3 points.
Lmao

1 Like

Boone twins playing low and high and three shooters on perimeter. Problem solved

2 Likes