Five Thoughts on Oklahoma State's 98-93 Overtime Victory against Cleveland State

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/five-thoughts-on-oklahoma-states-98-93-overtime-victory-against-cleveland-state/

The Cowboys pulled out the win in OT.

1 Like

This team is about to start getting murdered if they can’t right the ship soon. You can’t just out athlete and out talent these teams on the rest of the schedule. It’s about to get brutal if coach doesn’t figure this out.

3 Likes

What is the playing status of Cisse? Only 3 minutes? Big 12 looks like an unbelievable tough league again!

Why was Thompson not playing

“Cleveland State whipped the ball around Eddie Sutton floor until someone was shooting an open layup. It was a thing of beauty.”

Yeah……that’s something this team should be doing. 36% from three isn’t bad, but it’s not great either. It’s in the realm of okay. The point being this team is naturally bad at three pointers anyway.

You can chalk this up as a good win if you want, but you shouldn’t have to get a last bucket with 6 seconds left to win in OT against Cleveland State. Boynton better get his chit together and actually run something that works.

1 Like

This has been my stance for a long time. They have been winning games with talented street ball athletes.
At some point the coaching is going to have to show up.

1 Like

My first thoughts as reading the article is my disdain for “distain”.
It’s still a work in progress but this team has talent. They were able to play against what little zone they played. We will play better teams that are better coached and get destroyed.

1 Like

Thompson has an injured hip. Letting him heal for Big 12 play.
My take away from that game is with 6 seconds left I turned it off, concluding it would be a loss that I did not want to watch happen since they should have wrapped up the game. Since there is obvious talent on this team but they cannot pass the ball around like the Vikings could, it makes me think the coaching leaves something to be desired. Or the other factor is that we have no star player, no go to guy, no effective three point shooters. I agree that it is going to be hard to watch when Big 12 play starts. Where was the rebounding in the first half? Call a time out and fix that sooner. At this point we look like we could be at the bottom of the Big 12. The Vikings look more like an Eddie Sutton defense than do the Cowboys. Rondell’s new haircut? It took me awhile to figure who he was. But I guess that could be symbolic of this team in general. Who is this new version of Cowboy basketball? We don’t recognize it. Cade, where are you man? We need you! Better hope someone pops up from the transfer portal, we need a main guy. I almost forgot to mention how terrible the shooting of Ice looked.

2 Likes

This is not looking good with conference play just around the corner.

1 Like

Cisse had a death in the family yesterday so he didn’t start. He dove for a ball in the first half and I don’t think he returned. Looked like he might have come up sore but I couldn’t tell that he injured anything.

1 Like

We might get 6-7 combo guard Anthony Black. And we might get him early as he is having some issues due to moving from Coppell to Duncanville for this senior season. If they rule him ineligible he has stated that he might reclassify. Not sure how that works for basketball players but its an interesting story to watch.

ESPN gives an 87% chance that Black ends up with OSU.
I continue to be impressed with the progress Keylan Boone has been showing since showing up on campus. Tell Ice to not shoot, just play D. Have the spend extra time in practice shooting free throws and three point range shots. Have to rebound tougher under the basket in first halves. Make the NCAA look bad for banning you from post season.

3 Likes

It’s a win.
I’m not going to rehash the limits of this team.
I was curious that boynton keep to these 5 guys mainly down the last 10 minutes. Which is fine with me.