Football 2019 Thread

I just saw that and thought the exact same thing. +1600? What? Those are odds of a man entering the season on the hot seat.

1 Like

They must read the comments sections on OSU articles. Only our fans would expect that.

3 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: No Way!

I donā€™t know that ā€˜first firedā€™ is going to happen, nor should it.

That being said, letā€™s consider the worst case scenario, just as a thought exercise. Say we win the first three, but drop the first three conference games to Texas/K-State/Tech (which is not an impossible thing - Texas is mean and K-State is always tough, while Tech whipped us last year). At that point, youā€™d have to think that change would be an option, especially since the only guaranteed (or close to it) win for the rest of the season would be Kansas, with Baylor/Iowa State/TCU/WVU/OU all being tough outs (especially ISU/TCU/OU).

But letā€™s say we manage to beat Baylor, Kansas, and WVU in that scenario. That would still end our season 1) bowl-less and 2) at 6-6. That would make two consecutive bad seasons, this time without a bowl, and with our recruiting likely to end up as mediocre again and the contract providing another raiseā€¦is it outside the realm of possibility that we move on?

Note that Iā€™m not advocating it. Iā€™m just providing a scenario that isnā€™t COMPLETELY insane (e.g. losing all 10 Big 12 games) in which ā€˜first firedā€™ wouldnā€™t happen, but only that ā€˜firstā€™ part.

Doesnā€™t the contract also provide for a 17 million buyout weā€™d have to come up with in addition to 3ish million a year for a new coach? Where is that coming from?

You donā€™t think we have rich boosters that are sick of losing to OU every year and no real end in sight? Iā€™m not saying itā€™ll happen, even if we hit that point. Iā€™m not even saying it would be likely. Iā€™m saying that, all things considered, his seat is not even just pleasantly cool - itā€™s warm until he proves that it should be otherwise.

1,2, or even 3 QBsā€¦ Iā€™m just excited that itā€™s officially Game Week! Canā€™t wait for Friday nightā€¦ Uniform predictions anyone?

1 Like

I think Iā€™d rather they spend that money to get their name on the new wrestling facility than entering the lottery of finding a coach who will consistently beat OU.

1 Like

Like I said, Iā€™m not in any way saying itā€™s likely to happen. Just that the ā€˜untouchableā€™ Gundy of post-2011 is no longer at that level, nor should he be.

If they are considering retirement as a ā€œfiringā€ then I might be able to see those odds. I think there is almost no chance that Gundy is fired after this year unless their is some issue that is not football related. I could see him being talked into retirement if things go as bad as you mentioned in your scenario though. Its all about the semantics.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a fair point. Spin it how you want - if he delivers another garbage season like last year, itā€™s going to be difficult for him or the AD to ignore calls for ā€˜retirementā€™.

Firing Gundy would result in the job being untouchable. No coach worth it would even interview. Would have to hire an up and coming OC or hope that somebody on staff is capable of taking over.

Would be stupid to fire Gundy.

Also, anything less than 8 wins is wishful thinking for this season. Improved secondary and a little more maturity in defensive leadership will result in better adaptation to the scheme. Might not beat Texas and I stopped hoping for a Bedlam win when I was 8 years oldā€¦ but 10-2 is totally reasonable.

2 Likes

Anyone who thinks Gundy is being fired this year is without logic.

3 Likes

anyone who is pissed off about Gundyā€™s annual raise doesnā€™t really understand that the raise really just keeps him in the top 15 of college football salariesā€¦ which is exactly where he should be considering the program is top 14 in wins since he took over.

It would take 4 years of declining performance and negligence on Gundyā€™s part to get fired. Or some sort of scandal.

Two 6-6 seasons isnā€™t going to get Gundy fired. Itā€™s ludicrous to think so.

3 Likes

Gundy would have to have 3 straight losing seasons before the seat even warms at all.

Agreed weā€™re somewhere between 8-10 wins, 7 with a few bad breaks. Ceiling is probably a sugar bowl if OU or Texas is in the playoff.

Grayson Boomer tore his ACL.

1 Like

Regardless of whether he saw the field or not this year that sucks really bad. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

That sucks. I thought he might see the field this year

Seems like @marshall started hearing rumors last week just before the depth chart was released. So when he wasnā€™t even a backup (and Dayton Metcalf was the No. 2 to both Jelani Woods and Logan Carter) it flagged everyone that something was up.

Definitely a bummer. May not have played a lot this year, but couldā€™ve benefitted from a secondary or tertiary role as he acclimates to college game.

@marshall crushed it here. Awesome stuff.

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/magic-man-a-j-greens-career-marked-by-hard-work-competition/

2 Likes