5. Oklahoma State
  6. Georgia
  7. Michigan
  8. Wisconsin
  9. Cincinnati
  10. Texas A&M

I said what I said

3 Likes

BigDave has a recording of the game on YouTube up.

5 Likes

Right now Illingworth has a better completion %, better Y/A, and a better TD to INT. If Spencer can flip his TD to INT, then I like our chances to win the Big 12 and end up in the playoff.

I don’t think the numbers tell the whole story in this situation. Illingworth played against the worst team in CFB, while Spencer played against probably the second best defense in the conference. I thought Spencer bounced back really well after both of his mistakes yesterday. Last year that wasn’t the case, he would continue to make mistakes.

10 Likes

Tulsa is the best defense that we’ve played against…

1 Like

Yes, but you also forget the context of how many starts and practices Sanders has had compared to Illingworth. Hopefully he can limit the INTs going forward.

2 Likes

Yes hopefully he can limit them going forward. But like you said context is everything, Shane’s 3 TDs came against Kansas with broken coverages. He made a terrible read in the West Virginia game where he threw it directly at the defender. I know we all love the new flavor of the month but right now Spencer gives us the best chance to win. 55% of Illingworth’s passing yards have come against Kansas, he has accounted for a total of 471 net yards in essentially 2.5 games. Spencer has 338 net yards in 1 game and 1 drive and that also came against a good ISU defense. Right now we should all just feel happy that we are lucky enough to be having a debate on which QB is best and enjoy the 4-0 feeling.

15 Likes

So, Georgia is still ranked above us in both polls despite having one loss. I hate blueblood bias. Before yesterday the narrative for us was “Beat Iowa State and you’ll be legit” now it’s “win your next three games, gotta get through Bedlam first.” Which is fair, but I’m ticked the goalposts are getting moved on us.

It’s gonna be like that the whole season. If we win these next three games, they’ll move the goalposts again and come up with some other way we have to prove ourselves.

4 Likes

We are not the 6th best team in the country. We do not have the 6th best resume in the country. Is everyone really that mad that we are behind Georgia?

10 Likes

I’m actually not saying that I think Illingworth should start, I’m good with Sanders as the starter. But for Sanders to give us the best shot at the Big 12 and CFP, he needs to improve taking care of the ball.

2 Likes

Oh I totally agree, although I’m not worried about the tipped pass INT. On the other INT Sanders made a good read but threw it way too late so the defender was able to recover and steal it away. Those are the things he needs to improve, but I thought he saw the field really well yesterday so I am hopeful.

2 Likes

But Illingworth still had to make the throws, regardless of whether the coverage was broken or not. He could’ve easily overthrown Tylan or Brayden, especially given his experience coming into the game. I stand by what I insinuated a few weeks ago, that Shane is definitely the better thrower right now. Spencer is the better overall athlete, but sometimes I think he “gunslings” and throws some wild throws.

(To be fair, some of his “bullet” throws were really on point yesterday, like the one to Jelani.)

But Illingworth is the natural thrower of the two, and will definitely make it to the NFL. It’s harder to say that about Spencer. Spencer seems to be heading down a Tebow-like path.

1 Like

There has not been a single throw Shane has made that Spencer cannot. People forget but Sanders has one of the best arms in the Big 12, and hitting a wide open receiver shouldn’t be the method by which we choose a QB. Sanders made several scrambles yesterday that Shane will never in his life be able to make and if the reason you choose a QB is that he can throw it 65 yards vs a QB who can throw 60 yards you’ve made a sophomoric decision. I understand people are saying that the “eye test” is telling them that Shane is the one, but I encourage everyone to go back and watch the West Virginia game, he was not a transformative QB by any means, he was sacked several times because of his lack of mobility, and all of his wow plays have gone to wide open receivers or to Tylan. I think Shane is going to be a very good QB but for the love of God everyone needs to calm down. He played well against a team that Bixby would beat by 20 which tells us nothing.

15 Likes

Georgia isn’t a blue blood. That’s SEC bias.

Oh they are a blue blood. Don’t kid yourself.

3 Likes

Who has a better resume?

No they aren’t.

That’s not even a Top 10 program all time.

Blue bloods are Notre Dame, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska.

Technically no body has blue blood

7 Likes