Football 2021 Offseason Thread

Another solid point.

4 Likes

Must have been busy playing golf.

3 Likes

Definitely go back and read that thread. Plenty of us emailed Holder and others complaining.

2 Likes

Was a very interesting read for sure.

Completely Madonna on Gundy’s part, he seems too insecure in his beliefs of outside information hurting his team. but to be fair on the last point, sitting here 3 years later I think we’d all agree that corn dog should have definitely been playing over Sanders in 2018. Unless the argument is Sanders would be a year more mature at this point, of course. Performance wise, not so much.

3 Likes

Kinda wonder if this actually HURT in the long wrong, making Sanders feel like he needed to prove himself even more so maybe made him play more erratically

1 Like

I believe that was the argument. OSU just went 7-6. The thought (by some, not all) that it was a throwaway year, so might as well let Sanders get experience.

6 Likes

Should’ve at least given him his free 4 “keep your redshirt” games. Said this all along.

9 Likes

Not expecting to have to show that you can play as a true freshman is a sure fire sign of not being ready for the limelight. I’m sure Spencer expected that. And understood why he wasn’t playing as a 17-18 year old when there was a 25 year old or whatever corn was ahead of him.

I agree looking back on it, but I have no clue how the season went that badly. They beat a top 10 Texas, a top 10 WVU, a top-25 Boise state, look a playoff OU team down to the wire and probably should have won that game in Norman, dominated ranked Missouri for the majority of the bowl game, and looked like the 2nd string version of Kansas vs every non-ranked team they played. Wildest season I think I’ve ever seen.

6 Likes

We really played to our competition that year.

6 Likes

We really did play to our competition that year. That was one play away from being a 8-5. Also, so many of those games we came in with POOR play calling. The TCU game comes to mind. I feel like he continued to throw RB screens that went nowhere over and over. In fact Corn struggled with that throw yet we keep trying it.

That TCU game was ours for the taking as well. Other games, like KSU our defense played valiantly in first half, but offense could do NOTHING so the defense finally gave in. Add in Tylan dropping the deep ball to ISU and this season could’ve been way different.

While Corn wasn’t elite by any stretch he was more than capable particularly when throwing intermediate (think 2nd half WVU).

I do agree Spencer at least should’ve used the free four games, but I don’t think he should’ve been starting.

Also, I do think that was about to happen going into the UT game, but Corn was great that night and earned his spot. Same with OU game

4 Likes

Wya, PFB!?

That makes me want to do it even less. You will not catch us paying any recruits any amount of money, especially $10K!

4 Likes

From our perspective this seems easy to realize but as a 17-18 year old who was just told he was the king of football in all of Texas? Maybe not as easy

2 Likes

Also not so sure he thought he’d need to fight a 6th year senior (walkon maybe?) who’d never taken a single snap for the spot when he was Mr. Texas Player of the Year. I would have been shocked as a freshman, heck I was shocked as a 40 year old! :laughing:

1 Like

Kolby Harvell-Peel and Malcolm Rodriguez are on the Bednarik Watch List (Defensive Player of the Year). No Pokes on the Maxwell Watch List (Offensive Player of the Year). If you would’ve told me this in 2014, I would’ve laughed.

14 Likes

I don’t understand why Tre Sterling gets overlooked so much. Didn’t he have as good a year as both of them last year or is he just one of my favorites so I’m biased?

7 Likes

It looks like each team was allowed only two players on this particular list. No one had more than two.

6 Likes