Football Recruiting Thread

ah yes I see now, very good point.

5 Likes

This is where I’m at. As a publisher of a website that peddles intrigue in 18-year-olds and their futures, it’s disheartening [turns to hoops recruiting].

11 Likes

This is actually an interesting study that kind of speaks to the problem that many of us have.

You will notice that Oklahoma State is not on this list. That’s because we don’t even qualify for the study based on the number of Top 247 players. North Carolina and Virginia do and we are a demonstrably better program than either of those. You can say ‘oh those schools have pipelines nearby and we have to scrap for Texas’ all you like and I understand that argument. But when we can’t even qualify for an in-depth look at how we develop players simply because we don’t have the number of top-quality players coming to OSU, that is - flat out - a problem for a program with the consistency that we have had over the last decade in terms of wins (in general).

This isn’t a condemnation of Gundy. It’s just another piece of evidence to show why so many of us are dissatisfied, disheartened, and disappointed with the quality of our recruiting, especially in recent years.

12 Likes

Capture1

This is career rushing yard leaders in the big 12. I didn’t find recruiting rankings for 3 of these guys, but the other 7 break out like this:
5 star:2
4Star: 1
3 Star: 2
Unranked: 2

1 Like

Can you list your players with the stars you found?

What is this telling me?

1 Like

It’s been stated/expressed ad infinitum on this board by multiple posters…the recruiting is not about ‘Gundy & effort’ …its about ‘Gundy & results’ …I can work my a** off and produce nothing OR work my a** off and produce something …the folks who bemoan ‘recruiting’ on this board want ‘results not effort’ …big difference …

This is generally my opinion on recruiting news, which is not influenced by our recruiting strategy. I don’t get that excited about football or basketball recruiting. More interested in the guys on the team and the results on the field/court (yes, I get that the quality of the players joining the team makes a difference in the results as does the development of those players and the development of the system using those players). Does a Cade signing move the needle for me? Sure. Does a Dax miss move the needle for me? Also sure. But the arguments get so old.

2 Likes

Yep …pretty good assessment of the divided camps on recruiting…to see 14 straight bowls NOT translate to commensurate recruiting result is downright disheartening…
if a business has 14 straight years of earnings growth without a corresponding increase in #'s of clients/marketshare is likely going to get the negative attention of folks on your board of directors because that is a big reason to be ‘concerned’ …

You guys were talking about stars and 3 star guys that did or didn’t turn into stars at their position. I just found it really interesting that of the career rushing leaders, that the recruiting stars are all over the place. Granted, there wasn’t information on 3 of them which could move the pendulum either way.

1 Like

Benson- 5 star
Williams- not found
Sproles- Unranked
Linwood-3 star
Smith- Unranked
Hunter- 3 star
Perine- 4 star
Peterson- 5star
Griffin- not found
davis- not found

2 Likes

Yes and it’s been stated that “Gundy doesn’t care about recruiting” and that “Gundy doesn’t put any effort towards recruiting” by one of the primary writers on this site. That’s what I’m calling BS on.

The results aren’t satisfactory. I’ve conceded that several times. But to say that this is because there is no effort is, IMO, baffling.

6 Likes

Ricky Williams would’ve been a 5*. Dude was a super hot recruiting target from California. Pretty sure he’s one of the leading rushers in CIF history.

I’ve come around on this one, honestly. I no longer think it’s a lack of effort. I think it’s more effort being used poorly and in ways that are no longer effective. Do I think he could get more excited about it? Yes. I know it’s probably not super fun to travel and schmooze and then get shut down, but it’s kinda like fishing. Reeling in that big catch makes all the rest worth it, even if you come up empty every so often. I know he’s been burned before a few times, but the job of a coach is to push through that pain and keep striving to improve every year. I believe he’s found something he believes works (but doesn’t as much) and chooses to put his efforts there. If he transferred half the energy he puts into finding ‘underrated’ players into trying to land the higher-quality players, I think we’d see a marked uptick in how well we recruit.

In short, I think he’s all in on effort…he’s just all in on the wrong strategy for modern-day football.

6 Likes

On a fb team you’ll have about 105 players of that about 50 will see meaningful pt.
Everyone misses, Gundy tries to get in on guys he believes are underrated early with the hope that if they progress and the Pokes were one of the first in that it will matter to the kid.
Your comment is entirely invalid because it missed the point.

1 Like

I agree with you. Just didn’t find any info to confirm that. I don’t think they had recruiting ranking that far back.

That would also make their opinion far more valuable than anything found on this site.

Now look at all the other 99.5% of players he recruited from Tx. See how ridiculous that argument becomes

It’s so refreshing to see stuff like this. This is part of recruiting today. Having a great social media presence. Shout out to the the twitter intern!

5 Likes

89% chance Nixon becomes a WR anyways