Football Recruiting Thread

89% chance Nixon becomes a WR anyways

Looks like he would make a great slot guy.

So why have websites?

3 Likes

Agree.

Nobody is arguing this. It is agreed upon by everyone that this is the way he likes to conduct business. The argument is around the success of its implementation.

2 Likes

I just came across this graph on Twitter and it made me laugh. It is essentially the entire conversation in here since the board started.

16 Likes

It’s all about odds. There have only been about (I’m guessing here) 20-25 5-star RBs in Big 12 history (maybe fewer), and two of them (so a big percentage) became all-timers. There have been probably 250-300 3-star RBs in Big 12 history and a few of them (a tiny percentage) became all-timers. So the point I was making is that when you get a 3-star RB, the odds are that he’s not going to become great in college.

3 Likes

Can’t argue with that.

I have established I do not want to go to Vegas with, and ask for gambling/odds advice from, 99% of the people posting here.

Not that anyone was offering me or soliciting my take on the matter. :slight_smile:

“Don’t I want to try and maximize the odds in my fav…”
“Nope. This one dude won a million bucks playing this low odds game over there. Life savings, now. Do it.”

4 Likes

The recruiting landscape is constantly changing and how oSu has responded to those changes is shown in recruiting results and win loss total.

Early on Gundy had satellite camps, Big 12 South Division schedule, and a young staff passionate about recruiting. The entire oSu does more with less mantra was built upon the satellite camp era.

Not only could oSu use the camps to evaluate talent they could also build relationships with recruits that were being “ignored” at camps as OU and UT were courting the “elite” talent. Since oSu wasn’t chasing most elite recruits it helped the staff build relationships with players that produced top 30 classes. Having oSu coaches with good connections in the state of Texas was also a big help.

The effort that helped sign Dez Bryant is very similar to the effort Boynton put into signing Cade. oSu didn’t get outworked on Dez and MB didn’t get outworked on Cade. Boynton was smart to hire Cannen not only to sign Cade but also his history and connections to Dallas AAU ball. As a D1 player from the area he can relate to all up and coming players. Having former head coaches on your staff allows MB the flexibility to hire a coach that doesn’t have D1 experience. How Cannen recruits after Cade is gone will determine his future at oSu IMO.

A constant of oSu football history is other programs hiring oSu coaches that can recruit or outperform schools with larger budgets. oSu almost lost Gundy to this very same thing on two occasions.

Not leaving was paramount to being given the keys to the castle and that is where oSu is today. Gundy brings in sufficient revenue to earn top 15 money and as long as the money keeps flowing there will be no change. Pickens gave a massive amount of money for oSu to have the resources and facilities to be competitive. His reasoning for the massive amount of money was you don’t plant small trees at my age. Mike Gundy isn’t Pickens. He has time for small trees.

Polishing the turd: The fake outrage over this is sad. That was never a knock on the recruit. That was a knock on hyping a kid beyond his rankings because he signed with oSu. I call it the RA orange glasses logic train.

1 Like

To write about what I already think.

5 Likes

Okay folks the discussion is over. We can’t disagree with anything on this topic because it’s their full-time job and they know best.

Oh shoot… thought this was the Coronavirus thread…

4 Likes

Yup. I’ll even take it a step further and say that both sides of the ‘effort’ argument don’t really have much of a leg. How on earth could anyone know? NOBODY except Mike Gundy himself knows if he’s really putting in alot of effort or not. The smart odds are on that yes, of course he’s putting in a bunch. But nobody knows for sure.

Well… Unless you know the ins-and-outs of Gundy’s ranching enterprises.

2 Likes

You don’t get the annual reports?

5 Likes

Flawed logic IMO. If I spend hours in a bar hitting on different girls and the 5th one says yes it just means 1/5 said yes. Now if oSu had offered this kid before a bunch of others offers were extended then your point would be valid.

The reality is oSu has a massively low close rate on 4-5 star kids. No big deal as most programs are in the same boat. The big deal in the last two classes is the 4 stars oSu got didn’t last. However, saying oSu 2-3 stars are better than other programs is just opinion. There isn’t any hardware to support that data.

Also is it valid to compare the careers of star running backs? Should it be averaged by year? Or is it more valuable to looks at top running back stats for a single season? What’s our goal, to have a guy be decent for 4 years straight, or to have a superstar for 1 or 2 years? I’m not saying you are wrong, but we should establish what is desired before we try to compare “success”.

2 Likes

Sorry to be that guy, and always harp on this, but… No, he doesn’t run a 4.37 40. He would have been tied for the 4th fastest player in the NFL combine and the fastest running back.

Only 7 RB’s in the draft ran under 4.5.

3 Likes

ah! This is actually fascinating. I smell a research project. I’d genuinely love to know this.

I understand the point you’re making, but in what world is 10% a big percentage.? 2/20