Football Recruiting Thread

Simple. When Gundy is inside his tractor he isn’t out looking for replacement coaches, adding goal line blitz packages to his defense, or evaluating recruits. Luckily his kid is pretty handy with the Youtube.

1 Like

10% is big when you expand to a larger set of data points, is what he’s saying. It’s proportionally big.

I did this today. It’s actually true. OSU turns 2/3 stars into all-conference 18 percent of the time. Avg is 13 percent.

6 Likes

Is this a pick up line?

7 Likes

Nope. The first part of that comment is, though. Makes me sound smart. Always inject “data points” into a conversation and boom, you’re in.

2 Likes

But, isn’t there still time for this to happen? It’s about seven months until signing day. As Lee pointed out way back in the thread, there are a number of other programs that follow OSU around and try to pick off some of the underrated guys that we identify.

This year may be different as far as some of the underrated guys jumping way up in the ratings and getting better offers since it looks like there will not be any camps this summer.

1 Like

That’s where I went wrong in college. Just needed to add “proportionally bigger” to the story.

3 Likes

How many RB’s run a 10.6 100m? He may not run an electronic 4.37, but I bet you he runs in the 4.4’s if he’s clocking 10.6 100m.

2 Likes

I would think NFL draft would be a better metric for development as all-conference honors are often impacted by win totals. More political IMO.

Makes you sound smart. Jared Kushner…not so much.

2 Likes

“ThE dAtA pOiNtS sAy I aRe sMaRt”

1 Like

Nice revisionist history there on Dez and his recruitment. Us getting him had very little to do with the amount of work we put in on his recruitment. We simply were one of the few programs that kept recruiting him (and did not pull our offer) after most decided he would not qualify academically. We were willing to take the gamble obviously and it paid off big for us but if his grades had been better he likely would have gone to a blue blood.

3 Likes

It doesn’t matter how fast a player can run 100 meters, an irrelevant statistic in football or pretty much any sport. Give me accurate 10y, 20y and 40y times. I want big acceleration before the highest top end speed after 50 yards. Along with the shuttle run to gauge change of direction, acceleration is the top measurement tool in terms of speed.

Anyway, didn’t bring it up to argue. The hand-timed 40y dash times for high school kids are such a joke and it’s a pet peeve of mine when debating a kid’s attributes.

2 Likes

That’s what she said!

[closes computer for the day]

Plenty of time for all kinds of things to happen, but much of the efforts for this classes have been spent in the previous year or two. oSu is offering guys for the 2022 class based upon current evaluations. When oSu is making new offers 7 months from signing day it typically means the player will need more time to develop or like Kendrick Glass they didn’t’ get the offered they were waiting upon.

The critical component in college is replacing talent. Any player that is D1 ready provides instant depth even if they still redshirt. Any player that isn’t D1 ready needs time to develop and can more easily get passed on the depth chart in subsequent classes. Safety and CB would be a good recent position examples where younger players saw action over players with years in the system. When freshman pass juniors on the depth chart development isn’t’ working as intended.

1 Like

Bam, have always felt this way. Straight line speed is good, but generally pointless. How does a player move after running a route and making a catch? When do they reach their top speed?

This is why Tylan is a beast. He hits his top speed QUICKLY and just runs by everyone.

2 Likes

Given that argument, I would also say a 40 yard time is irrelevant. How often does a RB rush for 40 yards? Unless you’re Chuba, of course.

5 Likes

Well, you could also make the argument that that means recruiting has improved at those positions. If the freshmen pass the juniors, maybe it just means the freshmen are that much better. Which would indicate better recruiting, right?

Talk about revisionist history. Other programs Dez considered moved on with offers to other highly rated players also interested in their programs. A valid point is Dez was oSu’s best legitimate option by far. They stayed in constant contact and kept working the relationship just like I said. You conveniently left out once he qualified all those schools came back with offers. You also left out publicly stated he stuck with oSu because of their non stop effort even when it looked like he didn’t’ qualify. It was how they approached his recruitment that got his signature was his words. All of this is in print and has been posted here. Pull up that article and compare it to what Cade said about oSu’s recruitment and you will see the similarities.

NFL drafts more off future potential, not development and production in college.