Football Recruiting Thread

I agree with you. I tell myself that it is an old metric that just sticks around because the fans love the numbers.

10 and 20 yard accelerations are the jam. I want to know how fast my RB can explode at the snap and break into the second level.

My 9-year old works out a few times a week with a guy who trains collegiate track athletes, a few football players, and dudes who are prepping for the combine. He hammers the 10y/m accelerations.

She laser tested at 2.25 seconds for 10y (she’s quick for her age, yes, I’m bragging). If a high school athlete can go sub 2.00 for 10m, they have potential for real speed. This time does not include reaction time. For context, Usain Bolt does the 0-10m in about 1.6s, net of reaction time.

1 Like

Hard argument to make based upon recruiting rankings going in the wrong direction. It also shoots a big hole in the “we turn 2 stars into 4 stars” argument. I do think hiring a new DC was a significant component, but IMO defensive talent under GS went in the wrong direction for too long. True freshman beat out returning players with game experience.

I have always felt the “we have a young team” is an indictment of recruiting. It should be rare that a player starts as a freshman, ESPECIALLY in the trenches.

2 Likes

I do think the time is relevant, but the skills a has to utilize that speed is much more relevant. LD Brown and Chuba are both plenty fast. LD has had some impressive long TD runs by getting to the edge and outrunning the defensive containment. That is a product of speed. Chuba can do that too, but is also on another level at how to navigate blocking and see openings that allow him to get past the LBs and use that speed more often. Brown doesn’t hit those holes at the same clip. What makes Chuba special is he has the speed of LD and the moves of Justice Hill.

1 Like

Especially in programs having long tenured coaches that run the same system. Stability should be a huge benefit for player development.

Last year’s basketball team was a good example of how instability impacts player development.

If all you are going to go by are overall recruiting rankings, then there is no sense in having the discussion with you. You are simply going to twist it into whatever you want it to be.

To me, your criticism of the upperclassmen not developing has no merit if you can’t admit that freshmen beating them out indicates that recruiting has improved at those particular positions. You are hiding behind the overall class ranking to not have to make that admission.

I mean, you pretty much did admit it by saying the defensive talent under Spencer “went in the wrong direction.” So, the fact that freshmen recruited by JK are beating out upperclassmen recruited by Spencer means that defensive recruiting has improved, no?

As far as your “turning 2 stars into 4 stars” comment, if one kid started out as a 2 star and a kid starting out as a 3 star comes along a year or two later and beats him out, does that not also indicate an improvement?

1 Like

Far enough but your comment brings up something I think is being lost here. Dez stuck with us and stayed interested in us. For those complaining about not enough effort by the coaches, all the effort in the world does not matter if the kid does not reciprocate. Unfortunately most of these kids see the big names and drop us like a hot potato. We all would love to get a class full of 4 and 5 star players (at least 5 star once would be nice…) but the reality is that we are still a step or two away from being in that spot.

2 Likes

If this doesn’t describe 30+ year old OSU fans idk what does

12 Likes

Brilliance.

Which one is 30+, junior or senior? I’m 40 and fall squarely in the “recruiting stars matter, per the analytics” corner.

1 Like

Sadly, I’m not normally even one of the ones on here arguing it one way or the other. Then, I let myself get pulled into a “discussion” with @tomg. So, with that, I’m outta here again.

3 Likes

Oh no question, if you’re for rankings matter you are definitely Sr!

All you gotta do is throw in a farming joke and he leaves you alone.

6 Likes

Gundy was hired for his passion for oSu and not being known as a great recruiter. I agre with others that state recruiting is about relationships and creating a vision for success. That isn’t Gundy’s personality which requires others to have that personality if success is the goal. Coaches with those personalities that have success get job offers. That has been an issue at oSu. I think Gundy made a conscious choice to not hire those type of coaches as replacements. White guys, over 50 with no regional connections, typically don’t draw interest from highly rated recruits. That seems more logical then to say oSu doesn’t win enough, have a large enough budget, or facilities to have more success.

Much easier than having merit relative to your opinion.

Well then he’ll tell you your opinion is invalid because you can’t help making fun of him. It’s a great strategy, but nobody agrees with his wheels off theories.

1 Like

You responded younger players seeing the field could be a sign oSu recruiting has gotten better. My response was that is a hard argument and you still haven’t made it. FYI the individual rated talent difference at DB and Safety over the past 6 year hasn’t changed much. .82 -.86 range for most recruits at those positions. Throw up your hands rather than educate yourself is what I see which is fine. Have a nice day.

Some don’t feel the need to have others share their opinions. Huge difference between you and I. Go back and look at the personal attacks you generate from opinions that you don’t share. Keep on questioning the intelligence of others and thinking it doesn’t make you look like less. Have a good day Lee. Get on a tractor and make oSu football great again.

2 Likes

Got it you don’t like Jim Knowles since he is literally the only coach we have that fits your description (White guy over 50 when hired with no regional connection)…

1 Like

You can stop beating this horse, you have made it abundantly clear that you think that the head football coach should have NO life outside of being the head football coach. No matter how much the rest of us have tried to convince you that there is NO proof that this relaxation time for Gundy is causing distraction.

3 Likes