Football Recruiting Thread

Clemson went 20 years (1991-2011) without winning 10 games. They’re fine. Above-average program. Better than OSU. But let’s not make them out to be Michigan or Alabama or USC. If Dabo comes to Stillwater, the same thing happens.

7 Likes

Not sure I agree with that. I love Dabo and like Clemson. But I just don’t think so…

Absolutely not. More likely that Gundy would win a title at Clemson. You’re not giving enough credit to the advantages Clemson has. They were a sleeping giant.

4 Likes

Agreed. Location important here.

2 Likes

Just how were they a sleeping giant? What advantages do they have over usc? What Dabo has done there is strictly about Dabo.

:joy::joy::joy: So Dabo could do the exact same thing at Arkansas or Purdue then. Get real.

What does Clemson have that Arkansas doesn’t?

If Dabo had gone to usc the same would have happened. I’m waiting to hear what Clemson’s inherent advantages are. Recruiting hot bed? Money in the athletic department? Facilities?

4 Likes

Stop moving the goal posts. I suppose Minnesota was just a sleeping giant to and Fleck is just the beneficiary of a situation anyone could have done well in. Coaching matters. Great coaches matter.

The argument that everyone made on a previous thread was that, because they are located not far from Florida, they’re able to get a bunch of good recruits due to proximity.

But if Dabo hadn’t built the program up the way he has…would they be going?

1 Like

Florida, Florida state, Miami, ucf, Georgia, Ga Tech, Alabama, Auburn etc etc. Not to mention USC. That’s a freaking gauntlet to run. I’d say their recruiting area is ■■■■ tough. People in Florida didn’t just wake up and decide to go to Clemson. Dabo has changed everything.

1 Like

Danny Ford says hi

Historically they’ve been the dominant in state program, it’s easier to rise in the ACC vs SEC, FSU and Miami are currently down while Georgia and Florida are on the upswing. Those would be the obvious things to me.

3 Likes

Dabo has been essential to their success. Dabo and location.

1 Like

Disagree there. We’d get better but Clemson had a title and is a more established program with better players in the area.

Clemson had a national title and better location.

Lolol how am I moving the goal posts? Do you even know what that means? We went from comparing Clemson to OSU to you comparing Clemson to USC. You did that one, bud.

And it’s pretty sad you don’t understand the advantages clemson has. Within 2 hours of Atlanta, SC is a talent rich state, no dominant in state rival, ACC. As far as location goes, you couldn’t ask for a better location.

No one is saying Dabo isn’t a great coach. He is. But to say it’s “strictly” a result of him alone is 100% false.

Clemson had top ten classes before Dabo was HC.

1 Like

Then what happened since 81?

Yes you moved the goal posts. Throwing out Purdue?

USC is the university of South Carolina smart guy. You know the sec school in the same state? Clemson wasn’t a top 20 program for decades before Dabo.

Edited to say top 20 in aggregate. Yes they had spikes. Just like we have.

1 Like

Most of the folks posting about Clemson simply are too young to remember or stubborn to admit, Clemson has been a much better program than OSU.
Just that I can recall
Pell - yes he cheated but man he could coach’em up
Ford - undefeated NC
Hatfield
Bowden
All had significant success before Dabo both recruiting and on the field

To say he’s done a great job is not overstated to say he resurrected a program or that it didn’t matter where he went is way overstated.

4 Likes

No one is saying he resurrected the program. I’m saying he took it to the next level. Which is all we want Gundy to do.

1 Like