Football Recruiting Thread

Lol you said “what Dabo has done there is strictly about Dabo”, which is nowhere close to being accurate.

Because if it’s “strictly” about Dabo, then what you’re saying is he could do that basically anywhere. Again, LOL. Pretty sad I have to explain that I was mocking you.

If it’s not about Dabo then where are all the other championships since 81?

I’m saying he took a good situation and made it great. And yes it’s him. Great recruiting. Great development and great coaching.

I’d tell you to stop being obtuse, but I don’t want to take away your one trick, pony.

1 Like

Again. What’s changed since 81? If Clemson is such a juggernaut, where are all the championships?

Of course it’s about Dabo.

Good gosh.

Do realize this started as OSU vs Clemson?Can you not comprehend that?

Porter likes to compare Clemson to OSU all the time (incorrectly). His assumption that OSU and Clemson were on level ground before Dabo took over is a down right fallacy. Dabo is a top 2 coach, but Clemson as a program was monumentally ahead of OSU when Gundy took over. That is why, clemson vs OSU is a terrible comparison. Also saying Dabo would do the same thing in Stillwater is laughable. Would he still be great? Yes, but he wouldn’t be at the level he’s at at Clemson.

1 Like

Gundy already took his program up a level. Probably 2 levels. Taking the next step is HARD.

5 Likes

All of these things actually

There’s a line

“No great programs. Only great coaches.”

Probably made by a coach at a great program.

2 Likes

In the 20 yrs pre Dabo Clemson was 45 games over 500
In the 20 years pre Gundy Ok St was 5 under

Dabo has done a great job but historically speaking, no better than Gundy.

Recruiting has never (post WW II) been a problem at Clemson, is it better under Dabo, yes would it travel with him, unknown but I doubt it would at the same level.

2 Likes

When was the last time Clemson played in the national championship game four times in a row? With a fifth possibly coming down the pike…

1 Like

If Clemson weren’t in the acc that argument would have legs, as it is the last 2-3 years they’re Boise St on steroids. Dominate a sub standard conf, gear up for 2-3 games a yr and let everyone else play a game of attrition.
That still has nothing to do with where Gundy took over vs where Dabo took over. The programs weren’t comparable in terms of quality.

1 Like

Never. Dabo elevated them for sure. But is is fair to say that the Clemson starting point has always been higher than the OSU starting point. Even in OSU’s prior glory decade (80’s)… that was the decade of Clemson’s first championship.

1 Like

But if Clemson ultimately wins the natty, does it really make a difference what conference they’re in?

In a certain sense, you’re suggesting Clemson is seriously overachieving. Would you agree?

Location and proximity to a larger recruiting pool make Clemson a whole hell of a lot easier to recruit to. Other than that I could care less about comparisons. Look at our WR corps. As good as anyone in the country as far as talent. So who gives a rats a** if their avg rankings in high school are higher. What matters is what you do with the guys you evaluate and Sign. The Cowboy Culture is real and not everyone cares to be a part of it. Let’s relax and see how things play out this week.

2 Likes

Oh, that’s all?

Dabo coming to Stillwater doesn’t move Stillwater within four hours of Atlanta.

7 Likes

That is what Gundy did. Took OSU from Kansas level bad and made it top 15 in wins since he took over.

3 Likes

This is crazy talk. Gundy took a ho hum program and made us elite.

The knock on gundy is it appears he has plateaued out and is content or wrong about getting to the winning big 12 titles level

1 Like

Dabo got to the same level and struggled so much to break through, Clemsoning was a thing. Then FSU began it’s decline and they took advantage.

The real fear I see is that if OU enters a decline, we aren’t the team positioned to take advantage now.

3 Likes

I’m in no way discounting what Gundy has done, but we’ve been at this level now for sometime … and might be slipping back some. Shouldn’t the consistency, the facilities and our culture have started to improve our recruiting at least some? We have done an amazing job finding kids that fit and letting Glass do his thing, but again, shouldn’t we be bringing in consistently higher rated classes?

Why does Tech, Iowa state, Baylor etc get higher rated kids?

Can we not appreciate what we’ve done and yet all agree that this momentum should have led to at least an occasional spike here and there?

I’ve seen multiple posts on recruiting grounds, but I fail to see how Clemson has demonstrable advantages in geography. We’re as close to Texas as they are Florida, with less competition for that talent. We have St. Louis, Kansas City and Memphis - which are all as close as Clemson is to say Orlando.

If everyone is okay with an 8 win average, with occasional spikes, then never mind. I’d like to see us take that next step is all I’m saying. We’ve built a base that should allow us to take more ground. This isn’t 15 years ago. I think it’s a fallacy to point to where we were. We need to be pointing to where we are and at least considering that our forward momentum has stalled … and we aren’t going to take the next step without classes that contain consistently more talent.

1 Like