Football Recruiting Thread

Because saying that nothing is wrong and that we are recruiting perfectly fine is working? There are legit criticisms here.

2 Likes

That’s not what I’m saying. I believe Gundy should have a statue. What he’s done for OSU is unprecedented. But no one can argue that he’s terrible against OU and it’s embarrassing

1 Like

Got gifted the largest investment in NCAA history. He’s not that great.

1 Like

I get it and by no means do I like the bedlam record or think it’s acceptable long term. OU is a top 4 program in the country in the Gundy years. No ones record against them has been great. Just like many other rivalries, I think it’s unfair to be judged by that alone.

I don’t know that anyone is using just that as a barometer, though. 2-13 is, by any margin, abysmal and is symptomatic of a lack of care taken to improve or even maintain a strong level of recruiting. Simply put, we got blasted today because we didn’t have the talent to even try to match up with them effectively. Gundy cannot control what OU does - he can only control what OSU does and he has not been doing his job in terms of bringing in the talent necessary to improve that record.

2 Likes

To me, it’s easy to say we should recruit competitively with OU from a message board but in reality it’s much harder to do so. The talent gap is real though. I want to beat OU just as much as everybody but I just see it taking time and maybe a few off years from OU.

Nobody is saying we should recruit competitively with OU. Nobody believes we can have top 10 classes. But top 25, absolutely. Getting the 35+ ranked class in the country yearly isn’t going to cut it.

2 Likes

Nor should we have to tolerate the outside 25 classes. I for one am proud of the program and where it has come from In the past. It is time to stop living in the past, and at least effort your way forward. Just because we are always 2/3rd in the Big XII doesn’t mean we all have to like it, some of you may enjoy it, I for one think it sux and the coaches i know don’t enjoy it either. There is something they can do and that’s recruit the hell out of Stillwater, hit the road hard and that starts at the top HC. The recruiting influx between us and the team South is crazy. Not saying we should be right behind them in recruiting , but my God can we not be competitive, 2-13 is embarrassing.

1 Like

No the next step is being auburn like. Utah maybe.

We’ve had enough steady success that we have established ourselves in this “tier”. Good players should trust us not to suck and the right players should look at us and say “I can go there and take that team to the next level”.

I refuse to accept the defeatist attitude that this is as good as it gets. We’ve gotten by with scheme and a handful of great skill players on offense. Speaking of … why wouldn’t a good offensive player want to come here? Seems like a great place to showcase yourself for the pros, right? Yet we didn’t have a wideout on the field last night that could consistently get open. We aren’t recruiting the way we should to maintain our success, much less grow it.

I left a game early last night for the first time in forever. We can’t come close to matching up. And there’s no real help on the horizon.

1 Like

Said no one.

Who is making this argument?

The only area last night where recruiting was an issue was the uo offensive line, they’re dudes as many of you say. Otherwise the talent discrepancy wasn’t the issue. Loss of Sanders and Wallace and a lack of getting the ball to Chuba, in space, was.
You can argue recruiting til the cows come home but last night isn’t the one to point to as an example.

4 Likes

Oh? The fact we didn’t have a wide out we could open isn’t a recruiting issue? He defense isn’t a recruiting issue? I mean I’m not pleased with our schemes and there are things I wish we’d taken advantage of, but we had maybe 3-4 guys on the field that would see time with the goons.

1 Like

You watched what you wanted to watch and what you’ve conditioned yourself to watch. The Pokes played the entire 1st half even, it could easily be argued that without the turnover they outplayed uo the 1st half.
Late in the 1st half they decided that Chuba wasn’t going to beat them and the offense had no answer.
No losing your #1 wr and having Stoner step up is not a recruiting problem, losing your #1 qb and having Dru is not a recruiting problem, the OL in Norman is tremendous other than that, uo has more depth as is to be expected but there simply wasn’t the talent gap that most of you are claiming.
My issue was a lack of creativity on offense after mid q2.

1 Like

What about late in the game when chuba was tired but ou had fresh RBs.

If there was only a way we could have had more RBs ready to go

1 Like

uo undoubtedly has better depth but that ain’t changing short of bringing in a Saban / Meyer type, OSU just doesn’t have the oomphs to make studs want to sit the bench, uo does.
If Sanders & Wallace are there Chuba isn’t shouldering as much of the load.

Starting lineups are what I was meaning and I should have said that.

One more thing and this is my gripe with Gundy.
I don’t know how deep the Pokes are he rides his horses into the dirt.

1 Like

No. I saw what I saw. I’m not conditioned to anything. I’m as big an optimist as it comes. I’m not immune to reality though. We don’t have enough good kids to compete. Period.

Yea exactly. You just made his point. Because they turned the corner in recruiting.

Clemson has a better all time winning percentage than OSU. at 62% to 52%.
62% all time is good for 21st in the nation. The list is below.
I personally would not classify Clemson as a ‘Blue Blood.’ IMO, I think that term should only extend in number to the 10 best. Looking at whose ahead of them that’d be Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Bama, OU, UT, USC, Georgia, LSU, and then a bunch of other sleeping giants that could fight for slot 10.

Because I don’t think Clemson is defined as a blue blood, then YES. Absolutely they can be used as a reference. When Dabo was hired, they had not won 10 games from 1991 to 2011. 20 years.

He came in, and lit them on FIRE. I don’t think any of the Gundy dissenters I have seen are even expecting that level.

But surprise surprise, Dabo gets dudes, dabo wins nattys.

3 Likes

Dangit. This is what happens when you wait two days to comment. All my stuff’s already been said. :slight_smile: