Football Recruiting Thread

This is about recruiting. Clemson has always been able to recruit better compared to OSU well before Dabo took over. It’s a bad comparison.

1 Like

What people are saying and that I don’t believe you are getting, is that Dabo took them to the next step. Don’t tell these people that Clemson was getting 4/5 star athletes in bunches before Dabo it simple isn’t true. Sure they would get the occasionally start as does OSU, but the fact of the matter is they took a giant step forward in recruiting and it is paying off BIG TIME. I think this is all the majority of people are asking for. the money has been spent on, facilities, video boards, uniforms, now its time to put that money into recruiting on the road. This is what people are wanting. You cant tell us that no athlete wants to come to a first rate facility. I believe the staff sometimes feels that if they are out on a guy they just pull the plug and go a different route vs selling your program over the ones that you are in competition with. If you win 2 or 3 of those you can see what it can do on the field.

2 Likes

And… Grayson Boomer, out highest rated recruit from the last class has now entered the transfer portal. joker GIF inserted.

1 Like

Probably spent all year watching Jelani get ignored.

3 Likes

I realize now @PVPoke that you are just pot committed, and being the guy that calls everyone who disagrees with you a moron is sort of your bit now, and that nobody ever besides you might actually have a good point you can acknowledge in addition to your own, but I’m a spreadsheet dork so I’ll get suckered into continuing the conversation.

Recruiting rankings only go so far back. Rivals to 02, and 247 to 00. The average class difference between Clemson and OSU pre-Dabo (he took over in mid 2008) on Rivals is 0.8 spots, and 7.4 spots on 247.

You said Clemson has ALWAYS been able to recruit better, but also said that 9 spots of ranking does not make an ounce of difference. Those two statements are contradictory.

It is a good comparison to look at Clemson and OSU because that’s what it is, a comparison, not an equivalency. The scales are slightly shifted because of Clemson’s better historical success, but it is close enough that you can look at Clemson and say “these guys were at place X, never getting talked about in BCS champ conversations, then put effort into getting dudes and got to place Y and are winning big.”

Look, the point is, is that nobody is saying Gundy should go from being 38th in the country to top 10. But he should be good enough to crack top 20 to parlay his coaching success into comparable talent acquisition.

6 Likes

Lol Gundy hasn’t taken us to the next step? Our facilities are great, but they’re just in line with other big schools. Our facilities are not leaps and bounds better than any other program that is willing to put money into their program.

Lol now you’re taking my words and spinning them. I did not say 9 spots don’t make a difference. I said the difference between 33 and 24 does not make a difference.

And if you’re at all good with numbers, you should know when to throw out outliers. The 2003 and 2004 seasons are clear outliers but you, of course, use them to support your argument that doesn’t hold much weight.

Look, if you can’t admit that the ceiling for Clemson isn’t much higher than it is at OSU, I don’t know what to tell you. But you’re just wrong. OSU will likely never consistently crack top 15-20 in recruiting. That’s just the reality. Clemson always had that opportunity with their inherent advantages. There is a massive difference from jumping from 18 to 9 than there is jumping 33 to 24. Massive.

L O L, name a year we won the BIG XII other than 2011, I will wait… That’s what I am talking about, THE NEXT STEP… being 2nd sucks unless you like that sort of thing, starting to sound like you do…

2 Likes

And I will always say, the lower the recruiting rankings go, the less accurate they get.

That’s why top 10-15 classes are pretty accurate, but after that it’s a total crap shoot of internet nerds compiling rankings that have never sniffed playing on an actual football field. The way people hold recruiting rankings as absolute past, say 15, is always laughable to me. These guys can’t accurately rank or project 1,000 hs athletes. There’s literally no accuracy at that level. But message board losers lose their minds from being 33rd and not 25th. It’s laughably stupid.

It’s why I think a tiered rankings of recruiting make so much more sense after 1-15. You would throw all other schools from 15-30ish in tier 2 and not actually “rank” them. 30-50 in tier 3 and so forth. Your recruiting projections would become so much more accurate.

3 Likes

Sorry I’m a realist and not some internet nut that has unrealistic expectations.

But I’m pretty sure taking an annual doormat program to a national top 15 program over the last decade is a pretty big “step”

Agreed, I also remember how every February Mack Brown would win yet another recruiting national championship to then go and squander all those stars come fall with a sub par performance. So even the top 15 rankings have some accuracy issues.

1 Like

Did you read my entire post? Please read again, the below, slowly. NOT an equivalency.

"It is a good comparison to look at Clemson and OSU because that’s what it is, a comparison, not an equivalency. The scales are slightly shifted because of Clemson’s better historical success, but it is close enough that you can look at Clemson and say “these guys were at place X, never getting talked about in BCS champ conversations, then put effort into getting dudes and got to place Y and are winning big.”

Look, the point is, is that nobody is saying Gundy should go from being 38th in the country to top 10. But he should be good enough to crack top 20 to parlay his coaching success into comparable talent acquisition."

I do admit the ceiling is higher at Clemson. I would also venture to say that the sane and rational Poke fans would agree with that as well. Clemson is a good comparison on a sliding scale. They were stuck in the middle, got a dude who prioritized getting dudes, vaulted. Take quantification out of it and yes, it is a great comparison.

Also, I cannot disagree with a statement such as “OSU will likely never consistently crack top 15-20 in recruiting” because I don’t know if they will, but I absolutely do not think it is out of the question to expect better given the pay scale.

And, not unreasonable to expect a better result than 38th, 34th, 38th, 45th, 40th, 27th, 31st and 31st, in the 8 years following a conference championship and coming within a FG of playing for a national championship. Those are the gifts that great recruiters dream of, and can parlay those two things into great classes.

4 Likes

Your point about the pay scale is dead-on. We are paying too much money to recruit as poorly as we do. Regardless of all else, that is reality.

2 Likes

Yep, I guess you just want one step not two. The monster was created now feed it. I am not saying that we should win the BIG XII year in and year out. the fact of the matter is OU is good and will continue to be at the top of the mountain for as long as we are alive its just the way it works. When I am talking steps you mean to tell me that in 13,14, with better teams we couldn’t find a way to win the BIG XII? if you are calling me an internet nut your the one that has to disagree with EVERYONE ON THIS SITE. you laugh and have something to say about everyone instead of having a conversation regarding the fan base. It’s not to much to ask to have expectations of a program that can reach new heights if the effort is put in from the top.

3 Likes

But whose record would you take, right now? Gundy’s at OSU…or Mack Brown’s at Texas (you know, the one that includes a national championship, and appearing in another one)?

1 Like

All of this.

Nobody (and that includes myself) has said we need to go from where we are to:

1.) Annual conference championship
2.) Highest rated recruiting class
3.) Playoff appearance every few years.

NOBODY IS SAYING THAT.

We are asking for incremental change that goes beyond the ceiling we have clearly reached.

Next year, shoot for a #30 recruiting class.

2021, shoot for #25.

2022, #20.

So on and so forth.

3 Likes

Bingo. It’s ridiculous to claim that anyone is saying go from where we’re at to literal top of the country. We just believe that our recruiting isn’t acceptable, especially given how strong a program we are and how much money we are paying our head coach. Top-30 or 25 is not an unreasonable demand.

4 Likes

Loaded question and you know it, those are not comparable options. Texas is a blue blood that has their own freaking TV channel for goodness sakes…

With the resources they have Texas should win the national title as often as Bama or Clemson have lately.

If Texas hadn’t fired their best coach since Darrel Royal, they probably wouldn’t have had the decade that they’ve had and would probably still be firmly in second place in the conference.

But they, like Texas A&M with RC, and Nebraska with Osborne, have learned the hard way that firing your legends does not end well.

4 Likes

Well those wishing to have Gundy recruit more like Boynton just got part of that wish. Gundy offering an 8th grader is similar to Boynton being the first in on Cunningham and offering before the other big dogs came calling.

By the way I agree with those saying Gundy should do more things like Boynton and hope that Gundy gets smart about social media and at a minimum hires someone to run his much better than it has been.

1 Like