Football Recruiting Thread

For the record, I actually like some of Marshall’s tweets, but that one is cringe.

Really happy with the Rangel commit. I think the kid has time to grow a little more, probably will gain at least 2-3 more inches in height, will get that arm strength. I’m actually pretty excited. He is under the radar.

1 Like

Eh - I don’t think he is, but that makes your point better.

Does he really? It’s always brought up that his running makes up for his throwing. I feel like he doesn’t really make guys miss much and he doesn’t put up impactful rushing numbers.

3 Likes

Ollie getting more love. Shout out to @AdamLunt for posting this on Twitter.

3 Likes

Rivals ratings are interesting. Gordon our second highest. Gilkey our third highest. Rangel our lowest…

That’s good company to be in! Also we’ll be the first to get cut, lol.

Looks like we are still in the mix for Banks.

8 Likes

Lol this kid is making me look stupid. I guess for every recruit that gundy rubs the wrong way, he connects with another. But i feel like that ratio isn’t a 1:1

2 Likes

Gundy just clicks with some people I guess

1 Like

“Do you like Duck Dynasty? I loved that show.”

“I want to play for Ok State!”

10 Likes

Tyreek’s o-line was egregiously bad, that should at least be mentioned.

3 Likes

Tyreek was like a wet fart. He should have had much worse numbers but he squeaked through holes he shouldn’t have.

7 Likes

I thought they’ve all been bad lol

The fact that LD has a better YPC rate than the fastest man in the NFL should be a clear indicator that they’ve made progress.

This ranking list has us at #18, which I would say is pretty good all things considered with the defections we had before the season: https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-ranking-all-127-fbs-offensive-lines-through-cfb-week-13

2 Likes

How much of this #18 ranking though was boosted by Tevin’s stats?

It’s hard to think that we had the #18 overall o-line in the country last year when we couldn’t score against TCU.

They outlined the main drivers of the ranking stating that NFL potential doesn’t factor into them among other things:
Below, you will find every single FBS offensive line ranked from No. 1 to No. 127 (three FBS schools are not playing this fall due to COVID-19 concerns). Please note that these rankings have nothing to do with the NFL potential on the roster; they are also not solely based on 2020 PFF grade or 100% indicative of future play. Several factors went into these rankings, including level of competition and every offensive lineman’s grading profile.

From The Athletic on Garrett Rangel:

When it comes to quarterbacks, it’s sometimes hard to gauge whether recruitments are still in the early stages.

Garret Rangel is a perfect example.

Though Rangel, who plays at Frisco (Texas) Lone Star, is rated the No. 428 overall player and the No. 17 pro-style quarterback in the 2022 class in the 247Sports Composite, his recruitment hasn’t yet blown up. Rangel didn’t wait for it to blow up, either — he committed to Oklahoma State on Friday.

So it is early or late for Rangel?

As his recruitment progresses, we’ll see if more offers come in and if things really take off. But this is a huge get for the Cowboys, and not only because landing a top-level quarterback is paramount to any recruiting class. Mike Gundy identified his quarterback early and landed him, and, hopefully for the Cowboys, this will turn into a long-term relationship and Rangel will emerge as a leader for a 2022 class that already has seven verbal commitments.

Investing in a quarterback is like buying a stock. When there are a bunch available, they aren’t as valuable. But a top-20 pro-style quarterback in a class — especially in February, before the summer camp circuit — could really turn into growth.

Twelve of the top 30 quarterbacks in the 2022 class have already committed. As that number continues to increase, teams looking for quarterbacks will become more desperate. More offers will go out, and the value for prospects such as Rangel will increase.

The Cowboys had a busy week beyond Rangel. They earned commitments from three-star defensive end Landon Dean of Frontenac (Kan.) High, three-star cornerback Cameron Epps of St. Louis Chaminade and unranked receiver Mason Gilkey of Pawhuska (Okla.) High. Oklahoma State has seven commitments in its 2022 class that currently ranks No. 10 nationally.

And Gundy has his quarterback in February.

7 Likes

TCU had a top 20 defense in SP+. They had maybe the best secondary in the country. Also OSU gave up 0 sacks in that game, so not sure the OL is to blame for the offensive mishaps.

3 Likes