Football Recruiting Thread

Scott you’re talking more and more like you’re a Pokes Report-er rather than a PFBer.

3 Likes

Gotta be Top 10 before we fall back to 5/6 in the conference and 40-60 overall.

The top 10 ranking won’t last, but its better that their in this spot now than be in the 50s or 30s. That’s how I look at it. In four months the rankings don’t matter crowd will return.

7 Likes

Nothing gets by you does it

427th recruit in the country.

• Underrated
  • Gundy Can’t Recruit
  • Who has my exclusive?

0 voters

Best Mason Gilkey comparison?

• Jerry Rice
  • Steve Largent
  • Randy Moss
  • Fred Biletnikoff
  • Michael Irvin

0 voters

Rangel doesn’t have the athletic ability of Sanders, the size of Shane, or the arm of either. But he is more accurate than either and shows better decision making. The arm strength should improve as he fills out. He won’t have their arm talent, but it will get better. He has touch on his passes. He has finesse. I like this kid.

All of your polls disenfranchise me

8 Likes

On the Rangel commit, his teammate Jaden Nixon never really stood out statistically. He seems to be of the LD Brown variety. Wouldn’t expect him to contribute for quite awhile. Wonder if we took him to get our hooks in Rangel.

I just hope he’s not Kolar or Cate.

Nixon was the 6th fastest football player in Texas in 2020. He’s the fastest player that has signed with OSU since Tyreek Hill, faster than Justin Gilbert, Chuba Hubbard etc. Has 10.62 100 time, hes legit fast. So I definitely don’t think he was a throw in.

I think you’re right about acclimation period, as he probably needs to bulk up some. Hopefully shorter than LD Brown’s though, but we will see. I think his lackluster stats was more a product of Marvin Mims stealing the show in 2019 (led the nation in receiving yards), and his team just not being very good in 2020. Their OL was awful and they had a brutal schedule. I watched the entire Denton Ryan game and it was brutal, no protection and no run blocking.

10 Likes

It’s hard to do this because we have info now that changes things, so doing it retroactively is kind of unfair. But here is my honest assessment.

Spencer Sanders - I think the talent was undeniable, and still is to be honest. His combo of speed/athleticism, arm strength and accuracy is really rare. Usually you get 2 of 3 at best. He played in an incredibly basic offense which set him up poorly for college, but so do a lot of other QBs so it was hard to try and predict his struggles on decision making. Hopefully he turns the corner mentally so we can start to see that natural talent flourish. I think his ranking was appropriate - which was 93 and 4 Star.

Shane Illingworth - I’ve never been high on him, and that hasn’t changed after this year. It’s incredibly hard to win with a immobile QB, and Illingworth is the definition of a statue. He has a few other traits that make it hard to see him having success at next level. Put up good stats in a up tempo spread offense, so under perfect conditions (including plenty of protection) he could be good. Has a slow release, but does offer really great trajectory/velocity of his balls based on the high release point. He was 89 and 3 star on 247 and I would say he is closer to a 86 and 3 star to me. Basically he was a high end 3 star and I think he is middle grade 3 star.

Garrett Rangel - I think Garrett is exactly the type of QB that OSU fans are seeking. He is super smart, makes great decisions with the football, has upper echelon football IQ, knows how to throw WRs open, how to throw to different WRs to accentuate their skill sets. The lack of arm strength isnt concerning at all, arm strength is an overrated trait. Given his size I’m fine with his rating now, given the fact that he still needs to develop some to become a solid College starter. His rating is 89 and 3 star but could easily see him creep up into 4 star status which is 1 point above at 90.

12 Likes

LD Brown’s career YPC is higher than Tyreeks. I guess that is his statistic that stands out to me. As we saw last year, when he gets the carries, he does not disappoint plus his pass protection is very good compared to say, Chuba’s.

Tom Brady is one of the least mobile QBs in the NFL and he doesn’t need to be. I think passing accuracy and decision making are much more important. Now I don’t know if Illingworth has those traits enough to overcome his mobility issues but I saw enough to think he might but again it was limited. To me this is Spencer’s knock, yes he has elite mobility but I would trade a bunch of that for the other traits.

1 Like

It’s a losing game to try and compare traits to the greatest QB ever. Sure, if Illingworth has the cerebral traits of Tom Brady then he will be really good, but that’s just not really realistic. So I just don’t see value in even making the comparison.

There are maybe 4 quality starting QBs in the NFL who don’t have functional mobility. They’re all generally at an elite level at understanding coverages and making decisions. You don’t see that in college level considering those skills generally develop over many years. Also the way defense is played in College, mobile QBs are more important.

8 Likes

Look at 1st round picks last 5 years…

Joe Burrow - mobile
Tua Tagovailoa - mobile
Justin Herbert - mobile
Jordan Love - mobile
Kyler Murray - mobile
Daniel Jones - mobile
Dwayne Haskins - not mobile
Baker Mayfield - mobile
Sam Darnold - mobile
Josh Allen - mobile
Josh Rosen - not mobile
Lamar Jackson - mobile
Mitchell Trubisky - mobile
Patrick Mahomes - mobile
Deshaun Watson - mobile
Jared Goff - not mobile
Carson Wentz - mobile
Paxton Lynch - not mobile

So to recap out of 18 first round picks last 5 years, the QBs who werent atleast functionally mobile (good pocket movement, can evade rush to buy more time to throw) were Paxton Lynch, Jared Goff, Josh Rosen, Dwayne Haskins. Not a great list.

8 Likes

I mean to that point having

Trubisky
Love
Jones
Darnold
Wentz

On the list isn’t a huge positive either. And some would add Jackson as he can’t throw the ball.

Edit: also Tua stinks.

I only made the comparison between Brady and Illingworth to show that mobility is not the defining trait of a QB, it’s passing ability. None of the mobile QBs you mentioned will have success unless they are an excellent passer otherwise everyone would still be running the option offense.

And look, I’m not meaning this to be adversarial, it’s just opinions on a message board and I appreciate the discussion. Just as you appear to not like immobile QBs, I have displeasure for running QBs. A QB is much less likely to be injured passing than running so I’m risk averse to that.

To be clear I’m not saying you have to be a running QB. I’m saying you have to be functionally mobile, big difference. Good example would be Baker Mayfield, Joe Burrow, Carson Wentz etc. Not really a runner, but athletic enough to step into pocket, buy time, potentially be a mild threat on zone read etc. Basically not a statue, like Goff or Illingworth.

I understand your point, and I 100% agree that passing is the most important trait. Actually to be clear accuracy, ball placement and decision making in passing game are most important. Mobility isn’t a defining trait on paper as you mentioned, but my point was the traits needed to overcome lack of mobility are incredibly rare. So when evaluating players and trying to project a players impact, I think you kind of have to act like mobility is a defining trait.

Hope that makes sense.

2 Likes

Just being mobile doesn’t mean you will be good. Point of the post was to show that if you aren’t mobile, then you prob won’t be good.

4 Likes