Football Recruiting Thread

Comparing Basketball and Football is a ridiculous argument

4 Likes

Yes which is top 20.

1 Like

By what metric are we a Top 20 basketball program?

The B12 has a reputation in basketball that is completely opposite of what it is in football. It effects recruiting. SEC teams can recruit highly in football because that conference makes way more revenue than the B12. Their games are played in big time national TV where some of our games are on ESPN +.

I love Boynton but him recruiting compared to Gundy is not much different when comparing B12 rank. The big difference is the national rank which is up partly because the B12 reputation. This is one reason, of the many, why they shouldn’t be compared.

Side note: how many on this site would be calling for Gundys head if he had 6 players kicked for character issues? This isn’t a knock on Boynton, just feel like Boynton and Gundy are treated completely different.

2017: Zack Dawson (character issues), Micheal weathers (character issues), cujo (Trans), grad point guard who I forgot the name of. National rank 86 b12 last
2018: Likekele, yor, callo (character issues), Duncan (trans), Jones (character issues), Cunningham (character issues) ranked 60 in nation 8 in B12.
2019: Marcus Watson (character issues), Boone twins, Avery, Laurent, Harris, Hidde ranked 24. 5th in B12
2020: Cade, rondel, Pena rank 15 4th in B12

2 Likes

Kendall Smith is who you’re forgetting…

1 Like

This is the golden age of Cowboy football and zero people are asking for things that haven’t already been accomplished at oSu. Defending an ineffective change by MG in his approach to recruiting is a real head shaker.

We won one conference championship, 8 years ago. So people shouldn’t want or ask to win it again because it was accomplished once upon a time? That is the real head scratcher. You say that anything Gundy would change would be ineffective. How do you know? You seem to be very content with where we are, but I think most agree we are drifting further away from the golden age you speak of, and a huge reason is that we are falling back in recruiting. I would like to win another conference title under Gundy, not reminisce about one almost a decade ago. But you go ahead.

1 Like

I was just talking about the tweet saying we didn’t have much history in other sports besides history and pointing out the good history we do have in those sports.

Corey wrenn has us in his top 5.

1 Like

Watch out, old timers telling you how sh!tty things were in days of old will remind us that we should feel honored to have had one tremendous season in our lifetimes.

2 Likes

One more random thought, if Gleeson does leave and we were unable to land Monken, would there ever be a thought to try and go after Doug Meacham again? He might be past his time, but was just curious.

Watch out, know it all wet behind the ears think they have all the answers. Fire the coach and hope it gets better.

I am very confident in what oSu has coming back on defense. I believe that the D-line is going to be stronger and deeper than we have had in a couple of years, specially with the addition of Clay today. We all know what the safeties are and can do. The LB core is going to be fun to watch with everyone coming back including Bundage. Only thing I am worried about is the corners. With AJ gone and RW thinking about going pro, we will be breaking in 2 new starters that do not have experience. Maybe we go back to the portal to try and find a player to help cover the only hole I see on defense in 2020.

RW isn’t going pro. He said as much after the game with his Tweet saying “:rage:Unfinished business”. We have that much at least.

6 Likes

Yeah, in our league that’s a

l2JhLGcFkzjJh89ig

hole.

1 Like

Ask 18 year old kids who the top 20 all time basketball programs are. I bet VERY few would even think about listing OSU. I mean we haven’t been relevant since they were 3 years old. And our NCs were in the 1940s.

Old head coaches speak glowingly about our heritage, and that’s about it sadly.

3 Likes

c’mon man, don’t be that guy.

2 Likes

The last part depresses me. We are over the moon excited about bball and Boynton because of Cunningham this year, and…we are 4th in the Big 12?! Yikes! Tough conference.

By per player average we are third…but still… :grimacing:

1 Like

See what putting Greg Brown in the class does for our ranking. We might as well consider him a lock due to the campaign @TheHeadChimp is putting together.

2 Likes

Best in the land.