Football Recruiting Thread

Bingo. My thoughts exactly.

Sooners just lost their top QB recruit. Riley to the NFL soon?

2 Likes

Nah, Vandagriff just decided he’d rather go to LSU. :joy:

2 Likes

Today is way slower than yesterday!

1 Like

It’s only 2:37 p.m.

We still have until 9:00 p.m.

1 Like

Announcing today…

He’s not coming to OSU. ASU most likely.

3 Likes

That ship has sunk, unfortunately.

1 Like

Ngata to ASU

I’d be annoyed if we hadn’t been getting the sweet insider info about it over the last month or so.

4 Likes

True! I didn’t expect him to pick the Cowboys but I still had a sliver of hope/want

But what have you heard about Corey Wren? He’s a very high 3* that decomitted from Georgia. Listed as an athlete but slotted as a RB. He recently put us in his top 5. Not sure why it’s not worth a quick blog here, but ok. If he played BB we’d have seen several blogs on him and why MB is a recruiting machine.

3 Likes

I haven’t heard much about him. I’d imagine we’re still in the running but if we were the frontrunners, we’d know.

1 Like

Agree. Not feeling the normal disappointment/ bitterness that I usually would.

I just find out funny that a big time recruit chooses Kansas and everyone is like, “at least MB tried”. We land a RB like Chuba and the take is, “even though MG was the only coach to make a home visit in Canada, he said he felt lucky chuba didn’t go elsewhere. So Gundy must not try hard.” Yet we landed the guy. Gundy did something right. But no credit. Cause he was surprised chuba didn’t take an offer from the reigning national champions at the time. Really?

I’m not sure why this line of discussion is happening right now. I will say that, regardless of Chuba coming here or not, you never, ever, EVER say that you’re surprised that someone picked you. You just don’t do that. Let other people make that comment. As head coach, you should have full confidence in your program, to the point that you give off the impression that it makes perfect sense that a recruit chooses you. Even if you don’t and even if you are surprised, you don’t say that. So many others are looking for a reason to dismiss your program - don’t give them fodder.

2 Likes

So be fake no matter what. Just say, I knew Alabama didn’t have a shot against us. I knew he was a lock for us. What? Maybe Gundy’s honesty is why players forgoe the draft to stay at OSU one more year.

Don’t be fake. Just don’t volunteer that information! I read the interview. He wasn’t asked “Are you surprised Chuba picked OSU?”. He was not questioned and responding to a specific question. He actively chose to say that he was surprised we got him. There is a massive gulf between honesty and being stupid and volunteering that information was much, much closer to the latter than the former.

You don’t have to be fake, but you don’t need to say something that is going to damage the perception of your program either. Think of it like getting a question right that should have been wrong on a test. Do you go up after and say ‘hey, I should have gotten this wrong’? No, you don’t. Hell, I’m a PROFESSOR and I don’t want a student doing that. It’s the same thing here. He can be surprised about it if he wants, but the second he chooses to volunteer that information, it frankly looks bad and like he’s not confident in the program.

Again, I have absolutely zero idea why you are fighting this battle NOW. Absolutely no clue. We were all ready for Ngata to go elsewhere, especially given what we had heard, and we were fine with it. I even said that, had I not known prior information, I’d be annoyed, but since I had, I wasn’t. I don’t recall anyone taking any sort of shot at Gundy about it and certainly not today. When Gundy is criticized, it’s usually driven by something that happens that upsets people and, frankly, nothing has happened (even with Ngata) that did so…I don’t get it. Did you just feel like fighting or what?

1 Like

Sorry my timing doesn’t suit you. Feel free to not respond. Just saying I think the whole recruiting narrative is unjust towards Gundy.

Viewing the world as a “PROFESSOR” and everyone else as students is not healthy. JS

2 Likes

This can be a legit discussion when Mike Gundy gets the No. 1 player in the class and reels in back to back top 25 recruiting classes. Boynton’s recruiting efforts are light years ahead and it shows.